Over watering or under watering - Portulacaria Afra

goofyboi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi I've recently purchased a portulacaria afra and its leaves started to get shriveled up is this a sign of over watering under watering or something else completely?photo_2.jpg

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 61

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like overwatering just by judging the soil, but it's odd that it's not affecting all of the leaves. I would clip those bad leaves off, repot, and let it recover. If you pot it into a freely draining mix you will have much less worry about over/underwatering. Plus you can see if any critters are in the soil working on killing your plant.

goofyboi

Seedling
Reaction score
are you sure I'm not underwatering? Because the leaves dont turn yellow and they shriveled.

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
These guys actualy like water, they just don't like having "wet feet". in other words, they like being watered daily when healthy, but you MUST have a very free draining inorganic mix. Go with equal parts akadama, some sort of washed pumice, and lava.
From the pic, it's hard to tell, but it looks like you have a very organic, wet soil mixture. they also will go thruogh a leaf drop after being stressed from to much or to little water, temps under 40f, etc.
If you lose this one, they are easy to replace from a cutting. let the cutting sit out in the air (not in the sun) for a day or two so the cut part dries out, or you risk some rot developing at the cut. Give them lot's of light. They will live indoors at a sunny window, but may get very lanky and develope large leaves. they are easy once you learn their habits.
good luck

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience with these they aren't crazy about being moved around much either. Find a good place and leave them there for awhile. Till healthy anyway.

Top Bottom