Overwintering - A Discussion

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also water the bonsai first, then wet the media. Strangely enough the bark can get wet in and the media could be dry if this isn’t done.
Just wanted to make sure I understood this - the mulch doesn't prevent the water from reaching the media right? I mulched before a few nights of light freeze and now we are back into the 50s and I find myself watering again and nervous that the the water is somehow not getting into the media (btw, when I water it's like a biblical deluge - I'm definitely not shy when watering).

Starting to think I mulched a little early.

Also, any concerns about mulch leeching nutrients from the media?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just wanted to make sure I understood this - the mulch doesn't prevent the water from reaching the media right? I mulched before a few nights of light freeze and now we are back into the 50s and I find myself watering again and nervous that the the water is somehow not getting into the media (btw, when I water it's like a biblical deluge - I'm definitely not shy when watering).
Its just a precaution. Dry mulch will tend to soak up the first couple rains (if they aren't Puget Soundesk rain storms). After that, its usually not a big issue, especially once things get colder as the media will tend to hold more moisture once the bark is on top.

Out here, once that's done I don't water but 2-3x a winter if at all. Its not a bad thing to check the media once in awhile, especially if you have length dry spells. Use the mulch as a guide. If it is drying, the media will follow.
Likely won't hurt things.
Depends on if the bark mulch was sifted or not.

Anyways once winter passes, you'll have to take off the bark and perhaps a bit of media depending on what you observe. Also please be sure to take a hose and clear the drain holes of all your pots when taking them out. I've only seen it happen a couple times, both yielding not so good results during the growing year.

Cheers
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

No you mulched pretty much when I do. Fall is a roller coaster of temperatures and weather conditions. You have to keep an eye on the weather and react accordingly (you are much like a farmer in that respect)

Ideally, you water the pots and soil very well BEFORE you mulch them in. Cover with mulch, but in layers, wet each layer as you go. If you don't water the mulch, the dry mulch it will pull water from the moist pot and soil. If you want, Water the pots and mulch before the next hard freeze comes, as once the mulch starts freezing through, it's too late and you won't be able to apply water directly to the pots and soil.

Mostly, once you water everything initially, it's not necessary to water much (if at all) for the entire winter--unless you get prolonged cold windy dry spells, or the mulch pile is sheltered from the rain..I typically don't have to water anything between Nov. and early March.

That said, I had to water this past week, with everything under mulch, as the air has been extremely dry and we hadn't had rain for weeks. We also got almost record cold, combined with dry air and wind, the top few inches of mulch dried out. I turned the backyard hose on the mulch piles during a thaw insured I watered enough to penetrate to the pots below.

Leaching nutrients is not a concern. Even it that happened, the trees are dormant and aren't using nutrients. THat's why we fertilize in the growing season.

Pinenut

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I keep mine in a heated greenhouse which I maintain the temperature at 32-34 degrees 24" above the floor. Below 24" it gets below freezing a few degrees where my Japanese white pines are wintered.
Being on the edge of USDA 5a/5b I just won't take the chance anymore. Not only do I have to worry about he cold and north winds, the wildlife is big problem living in the boundary of a National forest. Deer and porcupine being the worst of them though our bears are very well behaved. Deer will devour any conifers to the ground in the winter if not protected, even in the early Spring which I'm always worried about when my trees are put out.
Lately where I live, the snow has been sparse which makes things even worse. At least I don't have to worry about bonsai thief where I live:)

Top Bottom