Overwintering Satsuki Azaleas

Reaction score
I'm not a novice to bonsai, but I'm just getting into Satsuki Azaleas, and need some info from the Satuski experts, which I can't seem to find on line,
My concern is light. Since they are not a deciduous tree, Can they be kept in a dark, unheated garage, a shed or even a dark underground structure or would a cold frame be more beneficial, where they can receive some sunlight during the Wintertime? All advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Besides jimib's very good references, I indeed believe that no light can only be combined with low temperatures. If temperatures are on the high side, metabolism is higher, energy use is higher, and lack of light will starve them.
So the key to darkness is to keep them as dormant as possible.eo mentioned which temperatures he believes will work for him.

If this overwintering is necessary also depends on the type of winters you have.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your location is a critical piece of what you do to overwinter satsuki, as is the variety of satsuki you have. Without that info, anyone giving advice is taking a shot in the dark. FWIW, keeping satsuki inside in a dark environment is asking for trouble, as is keeping them in a cold frame without knowing the specific variety you have (some satsuki are more winter hardy than others)

Reaction score
Besides jimib's very good references, I indeed believe that no light can only be combined with low temperatures. If temperatures are on the high side, metabolism is higher, energy use is higher, and lack of light will starve them.
So the key to darkness is to keep them as dormant as possible.eo mentioned which temperatures he believes will work for him.

If this overwintering is necessary also depends on the type of winters you have.
Thank you for the info. I was thinking along the lines that you pointed out, but I was confusing myself as to which direction to take. The learning process is just as gratifying as creating a bonsai.

Reaction score
Your location is a critical piece of what you do to overwinter satsuki, as is the variety of satsuki you have. Without that info, anyone giving advice is taking a shot in the dark. FWIW, keeping satsuki inside in a dark environment is asking for trouble, as is keeping them in a cold frame without knowing the specific variety you have (some satsuki are more winter hardy than others)
Thank you for the info. Your advice hit the nail on the head as to my lack of knowledge about Satsukis. Last year I purchased around a dozen raw satsukis from around the states and lost 3 over last winter, lumping all varieties into one group. I live in zone 6A and last year the winter was harsh. The ones that died were probably not very winter hardy. I was thinking along different lines, and ignoring winter hardiness. Thank you again.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you don't know anything about the specific cultivar of Satsuki, then assume its only hardy to 29 F or -1 or -2 C. Some Satsuki cultivars are much more hardy, but if you don't know specifics, it's best to provide protection.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If temperatures are between 32F to 40 F or 0 C to 4 C metabolism is low enough that light is not really needed, but you MUST be cooler than 40 F or 4 C.

For more than 20 years I have stored Satsuki in an underground well house. They don't go in until temps are below 40 F. The come out when ground begins to warm in spring. I don't guess at temperature, I have a max-min thermometer in there to check. Also a small fan running 24/7 to keep air buoyant. Stagnant air leads to disease issues.

Top Bottom