P.Afra bugs showing up - Green, black..

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I looked closely at some of my smaller P.Afra plants and noticed some small black bugs.. LOTS of them. If I look really closely there are actually green guys too. What are these bugs, are they harmful, and how can I get rid of them? I've read that a dishsoap mixture works, but I'm a bit afraid to spray them for fear of hurting the plants. Do I just need to get over it and spray them? What's the process?

I only see these on (1) pot of plants, but I have others nearby - spray them all?

Thanks!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Aphids.

Soap mixture is fine, neem oil is what I use but I think its petroleum based and porttys dont like to be covered in it (I used it sparingly in directed sprays) then I spray it off with water.

Some people just blast them with water only.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I mix Neem oil extract and a little bit of soap and put it in a spray bottle with water. If they are congregating in certain areas you can just clip it off. You live in CA, Port's prob grow crazy in your climate.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
+1 on aphids. Try the dish soap and water mixture first. It's cheap, poses little or no danger to the plant, and is surprisingly effective. And pray for lady beetles, a.k.a. ladybugs.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
This worked! I did a light mixture of Dawn Dishsoap with water in a spray bottle and soaked the plant, let it sit for 10 minutes, then gave it a good rinse. This morning the plant looks great and there are no bugs.
Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom