Pacific Bonsai Museum one time excess inventory sale started today.

D

Deleted member 32750

Pot was all smashed up doesn’t even look like the pot was anchored to the bottom so it’s obvious it was turned upside down. Only one big box no double box. Looks like they tried to put some kind of foam padding used in construction in there. Aluminum wire around the branches to try to anchor it to something? They padding or the box itself who knows. Not to mention no wrap or anything around the pot. It was shipped out on Thursday and just came in this Thursday and was bone dry. So a week in transit. Just hope it survives because this was my only tree purchces of the year and I’m 4K into this tree. $3500 for the tree it self and $450 into this terribly attempt at shipping.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
They should refund you 100% because this is inexcusable. Pines are resilient, I hope yours pulls through.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Uh oh! I wasn’t volunteering the day when they packed the trees, but I was there when one larger tree left the shop and heard the driver being briefed on handling concerns.

You should call PBM ASAP and send them photos of this situation and ask for a resolution. I’m sure they will accommodate you.

Sorry!
DSD sends

PS I just forwarded your messages and photos on to the PBM Curator. I hope that helps get things moving,

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 32750

I’ve been in communication with the museum. Hopefully some kind of solution can be reached.

my intention of posting about the situation wasn’t to slam the museum or any thing like that. Probably shouldn’t have even posted anything here, just frustrated about the whole situation because I feel like it could have been avoided with better packaging practices.

anyways, I didn’t have a big enough pot to put the tree into, but luckily Bryan at the Bonsai learning center near me had one that would fit the tree so I went over to his place and purchased the pot from him and did an emergency slip pot into the new container. Now I’m just going to let it grow and do it’s thing, no decandling or anything this year to let it gain vigor and hopefully it’ll be ok.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been in communication with the museum. Hopefully some kind of solution can be reached.

my intention of posting about the situation wasn’t to slam the museum or any thing like that. Probably shouldn’t have even posted anything here, just frustrated about the whole situation because I feel like it could have been avoided with better packaging practices.

anyways, I didn’t have a big enough pot to put the tree into, but luckily Bryan at the Bonsai learning center near me had one that would fit the tree so I went over to his place and purchased the pot from him and did an emergency slip pot into the new container. Now I’m just going to let it grow and do it’s thing, no decandling or anything this year to let it gain vigor and hopefully it’ll be ok.
I think it is good you posted, maybe individuals selling trees in the future will explain how things will be packaged for shipment when selling online as a gauruntee for safe delivery. Esp of a tree has a value like the one you purchased.

They had better give you a full refund.

D

Deleted member 32750

Here’s an updated picture this morning after the repot last night and after adjusting the wired branches that got pressed in during shipping. It’s looking a lot better

0DEC7596-4262-4AA0-B70D-EC0B5DB58C1C.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pot was all smashed up doesn’t even look like the pot was anchored to the bottom so it’s obvious it was turned upside down. Only one big box no double box. Looks like they tried to put some kind of foam padding used in construction in there. Aluminum wire around the branches to try to anchor it to something? They padding or the box itself who knows. Not to mention no wrap or anything around the pot. It was shipped out on Thursday and just came in this Thursday and was bone dry. So a week in transit. Just hope it survives because this was my only tree purchces of the year and I’m 4K into this tree. $3500 for the tree it self and $450 into this terribly attempt at shipping.

Very sad. $450 is a lot for shipping. You should be able to get a lined box that you can stand on for that price - with the tree wired to a plywood bottom and the interior filled with expandable foam pillows. I was thinking about placing an order for one of those trees... and now am glad that I didn't.

I would say your new pot is on the small side. I would tend to overpot given how stressed the tree could be.

D

Deleted member 32750

Very sad. $450 is a lot for shipping. You should be able to get a lined box that you can stand on for that price - with the tree wired to a plywood bottom and the interior filled with expandable foam pillows. I was thinking about placing an order for one of those trees... and now am glad that I didn't.

I would say your new pot is on the small side. I would tend to overpot given how stressed the tree could be.
I agree unfortunately this was the only pot that would really work so it will have to do for now until I can find another. But on the bright side it’s an excuse to buy a new pot!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree unfortunately this was the only pot that would really work so it will have to do for now until I can find another. But on the bright side it’s an excuse to buy a new pot!
Do you know Brad at Bonsai Learning Center? You could call him, send him a photo of your tree, and he could pick out a pot for you. Then you just have to drive to Statesville this weekend to pick it up. He has just moved and his new location is right off the 40.

D

Deleted member 32750

Do you know Brad at Bonsai Learning Center? You could call him, send him a photo of your tree, and he could pick out a pot for you. Then you just have to drive to Statesville this weekend to pick it up. He has just moved and his new location is right off the 40.
Yeah I went to brads place in Mooresville twice. I don’t know his phone number though and I understand that location was closed due to his moving. I have his business partner, Bryan’s phone number and he is a little bit closer to me so that’s why I went to him.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very nice looking tree, hope it pulls through and you get recompense on the shipping and pot.

Top Bottom