Pacific Yew Taxus brevifolia

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Calling all Pacific Northwest nut'ers
Do any of you have any experience with "Pacific Yew" Taxus brevifolia. I've found one that I was thinking about digging up this weekend. It has a decent sized girth and is on the upper lip of a cut bank (upper side) on a logging road. It's dramatically leaning into the sunshine and thus will probably be a semi cascade. The local Elk and deer have frequently browsed it and thus its compact and has many branches.

Anyone?
Cheers Graham

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One of the participants in our yew study group lives up your way G and loves her Pacific Yew. I will say I am impressed at the vigor that it has...even after she reduced the top and the bottom. Go for it...its native to your area, thus accilmated...hard to go wrong

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Tom,
I'll go for it and post a couple of pictures next week. Its at about 400m and I did notice that the new buds are swelling (the ones that hadn't been browsed off by the Elk)..........
I'll use a well drained mix of pumice, composted bark, some lava/perilte and see if and how it responds.
G

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you al have any advice on finding our native yew in the wild? I'm on a hunt for finding them naturally stunted for bonsai like the great english yews I have seen.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a similar Yew cascading down a cut bank. I am lucky to live where these trees are abundant. I have located dozens of collectable specimens on my land and dozens more on the surrounding county lands.
Interested parties should make plans immediately to dig, I've had very bad results digging after the buds break, which they are doing at lower elevation but not yet above 3500'. PM me for info.

IMG_20160806_131908803.jpg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a similar Yew cascading down a cut bank. I am lucky to live where these trees are abundant. I have located dozens of collectable specimens on my land and dozens more on the surrounding county lands.
Interested parties should make plans immediately to dig, I've had very bad results digging after the buds break, which they are doing at lower elevation but not yet above 3500'. PM me for info.

View attachment 145143
As a note: I'm not into selling trees here, if you come get them they are yours, I'll be working some later on for sale and trade.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Male Pacific Yew trees are said to be the worst allergy triggers. They're notorious for the quality and quantity of pollen. Tread carefully ;)

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Male Pacific Yew trees are said to be the worst allergy triggers. They're notorious for the quality and quantity of pollen. Tread carefully ;)
Worst than junipers? That would be pretty bad. FWIW, I had a tiny Pacific Yew years ago trained as a root over rock. It handled the rigors of bonsai culture very well.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've found them in pockets here and there......mostly associated with rock outcroppings.
The one I collected has survived but I'm not sure where to take it.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 60

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure where to take it.

Anywhere into the future looks good at this point!

Very interesting options!

Leo just told Herz about a C. Blue....
Something bout whacking it and...
Then give it a season to recover and see if following season you have buds in interesting places.

Seems one of those future Following seasons is gonna prove the inspiration!

I just wanna be here to See it!

Very cool Dig!

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Th
That's interesting though I've never experienced an allergic reaction and I'm surrounded by lots of large Yew trees. I have often experienced a sense of euphoria while resting under the boughs of a large one. Thought I was having flashbacks, but now I hear there's mild psychotropic effect in the trees.

Ezell

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to ask a simple question about Pacific yew or taxus media variety. Why wouldn't they stand a chance not growing on the Texas coastal area , obviously in container, given excellent conditions, say a similar Eco system from native West coast, yes I understand much hotter, higher humidity, etc.
Im probably being hard headed, but just trying to get someone's opinion or personal experience, hey, this may make for interesting discussion or a waste of time, never hurts to ask. Thanks

Ezell

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to ask a simple question about Pacific yew . Why wouldn't they stand a chance not growing on the Texas coastal area , obviously in container, given excellent conditions, say a similar Eco system from native West coast, yes I understand much hotter, higher humidity, etc.
Im probably being hard headed, but just trying to get someone's opinion or personal experience, hey, this may make for interesting discussion or a waste of time, never hurts to ask. Thanks

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a thing called zone envy, and it's the same reason I can't grow Texas Ebony or Brazilian Raintree. Oh, I could try and I have, done the tree shuffle and dedicated a room in the house to them, you can do it if you want. Now, if it doesn't live here, it doesn't live here.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you get frost? They need a long winter rest. It would survive for a few years declining each year then only be firewood....

Ezell

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well you hit it on head, the chill time, same mugo or white pine, will decline in time. Envy, of course. I appreciate both your knowledge, advice and more than most, common Bonsai sense. I was being extremely hard-headed on this particular issue. I'll stick to podocarpus.
But I will ask about any taxus media variety, will they have problem? Decline?
Anyone on this I like some feedback, thanks.

Ezell

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should have mentioned standard podocarpus, dwarf Pringles and plum are already in progress.

Top Bottom