''Paul's Scarlet'' hawthorn

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is called Paul's Scarlet here but I'm not convinced. Do the UK growers know better? Is there really a red one?
Anyway, it gives me great pleasure this time of year. It has very little in the way of new extending shoots these days. Maybe 4 or 5 each year. It's about 30 years old or so.

20221023_120313.jpg

20221025_084641.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there really a red one?
There is red with white center, at least. 'Crimson Cloud' / 'Punicea'. They are related to 'Paul's Scarlet' afaik. I have a 'Crimson Cloud', or so I hope. It has not flowered yet.
1666856345037.png1666856403981.png
These are both pictures of 'Crimson Cloud'. How true the red is may depend on environmental factors. If only red without hints of pink is what youre looking for, I would say dont put your hopes in this much more than in any azalea that claims to be blue.
By the way, I could only find one seller in continental Europe that would sell one to me.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
There is red with white center, at least. 'Crimson Cloud' / 'Punicea'. They are related to 'Paul's Scarlet' afaik. I have a 'Crimson Cloud', or so I hope. It has not flowered yet.
View attachment 460629View attachment 460630
These are both pictures of 'Crimson Cloud'. How true the red is may depend on environmental factors. If only red without hints of pink is what youre looking for, I would say dont put your hopes in this much more than in any azalea that claims to be blue.
By the way, I could only find one seller in continental Europe that would sell one to me.
Ooh, that single red is very nice. I want one!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is called Paul's Scarlet here but I'm not convinced. Do the UK growers know better? Is there really a red one?
Anyway, it gives me great pleasure this time of year. It has very little in the way of new extending shoots these days. Maybe 4 or 5 each year. It's about 30 years old or so.

View attachment 460625

View attachment 460626
It would give me pleasure also, beautiful tree.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My most promising deciduous project is what appears to be a C. laevigata 'Crimson Cloud', and it flowered on me the first spring I've owned it, in the cold greenhouse it overwintered in, a couple of weeks after the big initial repot out of the the nursery container. Love the deep red flowers, I wonder how long I will need to wait until it flowers again.

IMG_20210926_081244.jpgPXL_20220209_212538995.jpgPXL_20220416_202705662.jpgPXL_20220416_202717807.jpgIMG_20210723_115527.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My most promising deciduous project is what appears to be a C. laevigata 'Crimson Cloud', and it flowered on me the first spring I've owned it, in the cold greenhouse it overwintered in, a couple of weeks after the big initial repot out of the the nursery container. Love the deep red flowers, I wonder how long I will need to wait until it flowers again.

View attachment 460964View attachment 460965View attachment 460966View attachment 460967View attachment 460968
I dare you to get the primary structure right and not keep unnecessary branches 'because muh flowers'

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dare you to get the primary structure right and not keep unnecessary branches 'because muh flowers'

Structure is much more important than flowers to me. I plan on really learning the timing and the rythm for this species, and have a 15-20 year plan rather than a 3-5 year plan.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Structure is much more important than flowers to me. I plan on really learning the timing and the rythm for this species, and have a 15-20 year plan rather than a 3-5 year plan.
Based upon the past four years, Hawthorns are like rocks, take the cold, cuttings strike well (beware rabbits like them!), respond well to cuts, back bud frequently, but, at least the Paul’s Scarlett, don’t like the heat. The leaves will crisp like potato chips if mistreated.

imho Get on with crafting the design elements sooner the later though. Otherwise be prepared to cut back and start over again.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom