Pest Preventative Spraying of Conifers/Evergreens in Winter Dormancy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Better yet....if you have more plants to spray than you have pets, move the pets till sprays dry 😆
Agreed on rotation. I'm wondering if a yearly rotation, totally eliminating on alternate years would slow the build of resistance of any one product, rather than monthly or seasonal rotation? It might, as when all sprays are rotated within a particular year, then the pests or possible pests are exposed to each spray, just at a lower amount. Crop rotation comes to mind.
Totally agree with allowing the product to dry before allowing pets near but it came to mind if residual dried product might be left on the ground or grass and a pet might lick or eat something with the stuff on it?

The yearly rotation suggestion is an interesting one and theoretically allow for different generations of the fungi to be exposed to different compounds from one generation to the next, assuming it's yearly generation (might depend on the particular fungi). Perhaps switching between 3 products, using 2 one year rotating monthly then switching one out the next year and the last one the year after that might be good practice(?) or 4 products (2 per year) if there are that many that can handle the types of fungi we are concerned with. Of course this might be getting too complicated than necessary.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Which is why it's recommended to rotate between products.
This, and making sure to use the proper amount of fungicide. If you don't use enough then you don't kill off the fungus and it may adapt even quicker, than if you had used the correct amount and killed it off the first time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update on Hinoki Cypress:

Per advice (thank you all), I pruned away the remaining dead foliage and unnecessary branches on the interiors of my H. Cypress. There is no more presence of black on the foliage.

I also purchased Bonide Copper Spray and have begun spraying once daily. Today is day 4 and I plan to complete a 7 day cycle 🔁.

After the final pruning, this is the tree:
IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2922.jpeg
IMG_2918.jpeg
IMG_2917.jpeg

I still plan to remove the Cypress from the ground, remove the burlap, work away clay, some soil, and some roots then plant into a growing container in March for continued development and overall improvement of health.

Top Bottom