Photos from Saturday 3rd June.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You lot like my photos and I like to show them so here are some more from last Saturday.

I started a few Elm seeds - we have literally millions of seeds falling off the trees right now and I figured I'd throw some handfuls of seeds into seed trays to see how that worked out. Well it worked out, apparently...

06038344 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Common elm mame from airlayer last year.

06038375 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

06038378 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Pomegranate
06038380 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Pyracantha from cutting
06038395 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Another pyracantha
06038402 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

And another

06038431 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Last one
06038456 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Small ficus

06038499 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Chinese elm
06038502 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Common Privet with flowers
06038532 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Trident maple
06038611 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

My new korean hornbeam
06038634 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

These are cm
06038638 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You lot like my photos and I like to show them so here are some more from last Saturday.

I started a few Elm seeds - we have literally millions of seeds falling off the trees right now and I figured I'd throw some handfuls of seeds into seed trays to see how that worked out. Well it worked out, apparently...

06038344 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Common elm mame from airlayer last year.

06038375 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

06038378 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Pomegranate
06038380 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Pyracantha from cutting
06038395 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Another pyracantha
06038402 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

And another

06038431 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Last one
06038456 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Small ficus

06038499 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Chinese elm
06038502 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Common Privet with flowers
06038532 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Trident maple
06038611 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

My new korean hornbeam
06038634 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

These are cm
06038638 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Great stuff as normal. Got a challenge for you jerry.. get a tree or two on mike's ugly tree thread :)

How many years along is the Pyracantha cutting? Was the cutting of substance or grown from small new growth?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
question for you jeremy...did you just take the elm seeds and drop them on top of the soil? when did you do that? any special conditions?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
question for you jeremy...did you just take the elm seeds and drop them on top of the soil? when did you do that? any special conditions?

They'll blow away on top.

I got one of those cement tubs from the depot....
Bout 2inches of 8822.
Just stirred em in and wet it.

Poppin after about 2 weeks.

Best thing is the DE will shake right off.

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Jeremy, what do you do with all your nice trees? Building a private collection, trading or selling them and so? Have you got trees that you would never get rid of?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jeremy, what do you do with all your nice trees? Building a private collection, trading or selling them and so? Have you got trees that you would never get rid of?
I like to collect them and grow them and after I a while I get bored with them and want something new so I sell them...

I'd probably sell any one of them for the right price. More money = more trees, right?

See one you fancy?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like em all, just curious, because I and my trees... there's some relationship. And I prefer doing something from scratches, thanks for your response.
Few years ago I visited one BC in Hungary. Looking at a part of a private collection I was told everything was for sale. Oh, businessmen...but I understand it.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You realy have some amazing trees jeremy id still want to come over and see them in real life
I work in amsterdam the next couple of weeks so maybe we can meet up sometime !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I had collected the Elm seeds around the corner form my house. I collected a full plastic shopping bag of them in a couple of minutes. Was far too many...

I filled the seeding trays with whatever bonsai soil I had, liberally sprinkled a handful of seeds (still with the papery outer casing etc) and then put a very small layer (maybe 1/2 cm) of soil over the top of them all and watered them. They went straight into my plastic greenhouse in relative darkness and within a week we had what you see. That plastic greenhouse gets hot and humid during the day (40C+) - but inside it has no direct sunlight - because the roof and walls are lined with bubble-wrap.

Elm seeds in Amsterdam by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You realy have some amazing trees jeremy id still want to come over and see them in real life
I work in amsterdam the next couple of weeks so maybe we can meet up sometime !
Yes. I'm in Cologne now for a couple of days...

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice! thanks for the info. I wish I would have known you existed a couple years back when I visited amsterdam! Would have been fun to get some coffee and say hello.

Top Bottom