Picea Mariana (Black Spruce) and Larix Laricina (Tamarack) Collected fall 2021.

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
I appreciate the info on your setup!

Basically here is what I gathered: Make sure when they freeze they stay frozen until the spring freeze/thaw cycle is over and temps become consistent. Consistency is key. Shelter from wind to prevent drying out due to transpiration wicking moisture away while the roots are unable to take in water due to being frozen. Once the weather permits, take them out into full sun to wake up. Afterwards move them to their normal spots on the bench.

I understand your points about thermo-regulating a cold frame. It's the same reason you never leave a child or animal in a parked car... The sun will heat things up to a far greater degree than the ambient temperature outside.

I'm going to be much better prepared for winter this season, whichever option I take.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is only my take but some was learned the hard way . With dead trees don’t overlook the rodents . One thing in your favour I believe trees are cold and heat tolerant ie learn to live in there environment seeds from a cold tree will withstand more cold when it grows . Vice versa I’m sure your trees are very very cold tolerant

Top Bottom