Pick a side on this big box

• Thread starter Deleted member 24479
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24479

This is an old Japanese boxwood, collected from a yard years ago. Some light pruning was done to allow for styling decisions. I'm content with the branch scaffolding but I'm torn about which side. There's some reverse taper between the two jins that has to be considered. It can be concealed via clever planting angle, the jin or a future pad.

I know the tree is really busy if the jins aren't in the front. Weigh in anyway! Spare me not!

Attachments

• 20221107_144950.jpg
    20221107_144950.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20221107_145057.jpg
    20221107_145057.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 98
D

Deleted member 24479

Since I cut the end of the lower branches off in the original pics, another
20221107_141029.jpg

D

Deleted member 24479

We need to see the base of the trunk and the surface roots. The branches don't matter.
There is a dead stump that needs to be concealed in the root base, nebari isn't going to inform your decision in this tree's case

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
What is the point of showing 2 pics that are out of date and asking for advice? You've already made changes that may completely alter the decision.
There is a dead stump that needs to be concealed in the root base, nebari isn't going to inform your decision in this tree's case
I agree with @Bonsai Nut that nebari IS important. Seems like you have already made the decisions so why the pretence of asking for opinions? Especially when there are definitive things (dead stump) that are either hidden or not shown.
With some creative thinking and technique a dead stump can actually be a feature but if you are not interested in alternative viewpoints there's no point asking for them

D

Deleted member 24479

What is the point of showing 2 pics that are out of date and asking for advice? You've already made changes that may completely alter the decision.

I agree with @Bonsai Nut that nebari IS important. Seems like you have already made the decisions so why the pretence of asking for opinions? Especially when there are definitive things (dead stump) that are either hidden or not shown.
With some creative thinking and technique a dead stump can actually be a feature but if you are not interested in alternative viewpoints there's no point asking for them
Great point! The lackluster views seen in the pics weren't intentional, I think I was just trying to save my ego! They aren't out of date though, they were all taken in the past week. Thank you for bringing this blind spot to my attention, I'll try and acquire more detailed photos!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think I was just trying to save my ego!
No ego saving required. I've got plenty of trees that don't look like anything right now. I have plans for all of them... but it may be years before they look like anything.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One suggestion: Take big pliers, clamp on to big upper jin and break off. Seems to carry too much weight as is🤔. Carving looks phony.

Top Bottom