Pigletts Progress

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 Well, it really hasn't happened yet, so who knows? Lugging these around makes you ponder it though LOL... We will most likely move in 5 or so years, we bought a piece of land in Colorado recently, so there will be some deciding to do. I'm not changing from D trees, I'm building a display house that will give me the humidity that is lacking there. I will probably house the trees in it year round. But space will be the tradeoff, so some of the larger things.... ? I do adore the mid size trees so it's not so hard to think about gravitating that way. Although I like shohin, I just can't get into those as much as I'd like to...
Piglet isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but my big ass hornbeam might if I could find 3 nice medium sized ones to make a forest group with.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Dav4 ... but my big ass hornbeam might if I could find 3 nice medium sized ones to make a forest group with.
Is that the one from Mirai? Been wondering how it is doing. Question is, in terms of weight...is a grouping of 3 medium sized trees going to weigh less than one big ass tree?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@coh, no, this is one I've had for far longer. This is a very old import. Here is the thread on this one.
https://bonsainut.com/threads/large-hornbeam.9512/
These are very rare in this size and age here in the states, so not sure if I really want to part with it. Especially as I do love HB. But I love this grouping if I can find and paste it here...
Can't find it now, will look again tomorrow...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm rarely daunted by anything, I've been a woman in a man's industry, so not much ruffles me, certainly not trees! I have very much enjoyed this tree and working on it, it sure has a lot of doing to do when it needs done. :rolleyes:
I do feel like moving away from these super huge trees though, and am working my collection back to medium sized things bits at a time. I still have 3 very large ones, that will be hard to part with, this being one of them. Thanks for reading this long thread!
Smart girl...in a mans industry..

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Judy,
I love your piglet...
I wanted to ask, are you using cuttings from the same tree for the root grafting?
I am asking because I have Trident seedlings and a large Trident that needs root grafting. For some reason all my cuttings from this one failed. I would hate to miss a year for this...
Thanks,
shay

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I purchased seedlings from Matt Owinga, who has seedling supplies of many common bonsai trees in the late winter early spring. Easy for me, I don't know if there is a supplier over there who does the same, but you should look into that. Just make sure you get the same species and variety. (trident maple as opposed to Japanese maple.)
Thanks shay.

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
I purchased seedlings from Matt Owinga, who has seedling supplies of many common bonsai trees in the late winter early spring. Easy for me, I don't know if there is a supplier over there who does the same, but you should look into that. Just make sure you get the same species and variety. (trident maple as opposed to Japanese maple.)
Thanks shay.
Thank you for your answer.
So if I have seedlings, not genetically identical, but still tridents, I can use them without worry of color/bark mismatch?
Last year I have collected seeds from tridents in Jerusalem and have grown ruffly 300 seedlings this year... :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for your answer.
So if I have seedlings, not genetically identical, but still tridents, I can use them without worry of color/bark mismatch?
Last year I have collected seeds from tridents in Jerusalem and have grown ruffly 300 seedlings this year... :)
I can't imagine that the bark would be so different to be a problem for root grafts. I suppose it could be problematic for branch grafting.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm no spring chicken, but am well pickled...

Hope to see some color by next week we finally got some good frosts here this week.

Top Bottom