Pine plan forward

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hi, have this pine since around couple years. Was supposed to be a styled one by previous owner but i decided to repot in a bigger and deeper pot to adjust the rooting base and hopefully will be able to remove many of the branches on the pads as they are very poorly styled with top and bottom branches used causing too much overlap...
I decided on this front as it shows the biggest base and more although not much trunk movement. Need your opinion on the following:
Trunk might be able to bend a bit in mid and upper part for a bit more movement or maybe wedge cut, yet as base has minimal motion not sure if that's the way to go.
Base has some ugly roots I need to remove. Remive One yearly ? Any preparation begore

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry half the message went out for some reason.
Base has some ugly roots can I remove periodically or is that risky ? I could also plant tree deeper to hide them. How about that kicking root that goes back on itself ?
- design wise as tree leans to left, considering compressing right side and expanding left side (opposite to how tree was grown by previous owner) and pushing apex to the left and compressing it from right.
Any thoughts or ideas about timing for actions planned is appreciated. Screenshot_20220820-084922_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220820-084953_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220820-085012_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220820-085024_Gallery.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The tree looks really healthy so I guess it has plenty of roots below soil level which means it won't miss a few smaller ones. I'd be comfortable chopping off those few small roots in one operation.

Your design seems legitimate. There's 2 really thick branches up top so chopping the one on the right should leave the apex lighter and moving more left.
I would be a little concerned about the branch structure you have highlighted. Seems to be distinct layers all opposite which looks more like topiary than a real tree. Consider whether you can stagger the branches more to break up that layered effect.

I think the apex needs further restraining to allow the branches below to grow a bit more.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, agreed about the district opposite layers you mentioned, believe will work with the existing branches and maybe split a couple of the pads and separate to break up the repetitive effect.
Tree has been repotted to a bigger pot few months back and roots weren't great but indeed looks healthy and growing now.
Should I shop the branches you mention beginning of this fall or wait till next year as tree was just repotted?
Is it best to do branch work normally in early spring or fall? Work out branches and wore at same time or one at a time ?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kind of pine tree? Cannot see what remains below surface of substrate. See perhaps 3 smallish roots(center and right)should cause no harm to remove at one time if plenty roots below surface. Is trunk as big as desired?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Should I shop the branches you mention beginning of this fall or wait till next year as tree was just repotted?
Is it best to do branch work normally in early spring or fall? Work out branches and wore at same time or one at a time ?
I'd probably wait until the tree has recovered from the repot before doing much work.
I prune pines whenever one needs it and I have time and cutters handy so I don't think there's any particular time of year that's better or worse.
I've seen reference to pines 'bleeding' badly when pruned in spring?? but I have not seen that here so it may be climate related or different species.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Kind of pine tree? Cannot see what remains below surface of substrate. See perhaps 3 smallish roots(center and right)should cause no harm to remove at one time if plenty roots below surface. Is trunk as big as desired?
Not sure of type. Its multiflush, previous owner said its a local pine (to lebanon)he grew abd that is pinus nigra. Pinus nigra is local to Turkey as per literature which is very close to Lebanon so very possible. Also pines were introduced to Lebanon by French and turks during colonisation for pine seed Industry....
Tree had very little roots when I repotted abd was in a tiny tiny pot. I'm hoping it grew many roots since the repot few months back as foliage growth is aggressive. Trunk I believe would benefit from a bit of more thickness to match the ball like base I believe, haven't thought of this before but now that u mention it its a very valid point. How would that affect my plan ? Should I refrain from cutting anything for couple years to let trunk thicken more? I will be fertilizing aggressive starting mid September as weather cools.down a bit.

Top Bottom