Pine Seed Collecting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the recommendation. I started a bunch of seed this spring with mixed results. Things that germinated well, Japanese Beauty Berry, JBP and Eastern Red Bud. I have about six different types of trees that just didn’t pop. It’s funny because I had a terrible season for veggie germination too. That later cold spell we had I feel really did them in. I have a bunch of extra plants if you ever want to do a swap.
I’ve had my share of seeds “not popping” for various reasons . . . mishandling on my part or the suppliers part, seeds that have exceeded their shelf life, . . . etc. Sometimes the seeds just need more time/temperature/moisture fluctuation to overcome their particular type of dormancy/dormancies. You can treat seeds with hormones and chemicals to help overcome dormancies but, at that point, I’d just try to buy seedlings or saplings from a propagation nursery. I’ll usually cycle seeds through at least two years of cold & warm stratification. If it’s a hard seed coat species that I haven’t scarified or a deep dormancy species like a yew, I might even cycle them another year or two. Typically, after two or three years of cycling, I usually end up planting the non-germinated seeds outside (if it’s a cold hardy species). I guess I’m saying, don’t throw the towel in too quickly.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve had my share of seeds “not popping” for various reasons . . . mishandling on my part or the suppliers part, seeds that have exceeded their shelf life, . . . etc. Sometimes the seeds just need more time/temperature/moisture fluctuation to overcome their particular type of dormancy/dormancies. You can treat seeds with hormones and chemicals to help overcome dormancies but, at that point, I’d just try to buy seedlings or saplings from a propagation nursery. I’ll usually cycle seeds through at least two years of cold & warm stratification. If it’s a hard seed coat species that I haven’t scarified or a deep dormancy species like a yew, I might even cycle them another year or two. Typically, after two or three years of cycling, I usually end up planting the non-germinated seeds outside (if it’s a cold hardy species). I guess I’m saying, don’t throw the towel in too quickly.
The lesson I learned this year…
Don’t cold stratify in the unheated garage, it probably didn’t get cold enough for long enough.
Don’t start them in flats with peat mix, watering requirements are too demanding. Alternatively, maybe less sun to let them stay moist longer.
Soak the seeds to pull duds or floaters.
Make sure seeds are fresh and come from a reputable source.
Have more patience.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Soak the seeds to pull duds or floaters.
I still sow all the seeds when using community trays or pots. Although the majority of infertile seeds float, some that float are still viable. you can't lose anything by sowing a few dud seeds among the good ones.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I still sow all the seeds when using community trays or pots. Although the majority of infertile seeds float, some that float are still viable. you can't lose anything by sowing a few dud seeds among the good ones.
It was a hot dry summer here. I’m a plumber by trade, I should really plumb some more irrigation 😂

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The cobbler's children have no shoes
Isn’t that the truth. We just got done putting in two new zones In this house. We demoed what was here, half the rooms didn’t have registers 😂. Flue and gas piping this weekend. What a difference having central air 😍
I did manage to setup the back garden with a well and 5 zones with overhead sprayers. It is mostly perennial fruits and veggies. Two big beds of asparagus, Fig trees, apple, pear, plum, cherry, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and more. The downside is the overhead gets the leaves soaked.
For the next garden section that I setup by the chickens I will do drip irrigation. This garden will be for growing out trees, which will require way more watering. I don’t want to be constantly soaking the foliage, too much risk of fungal disease.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Isn’t that the truth. We just got done putting in two new zones In this house. We demoed what was here, half the rooms didn’t have registers 😂. Flue and gas piping this weekend. What a difference having central air 😍
I did manage to setup the back garden with a well and 5 zones with overhead sprayers. It is mostly perennial fruits and veggies. Two big beds of asparagus, Fig trees, apple, pear, plum, cherry, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and more. The downside is the overhead gets the leaves soaked.
For the next garden section that I setup by the chickens I will do drip irrigation. This garden will be for growing out trees, which will require way more watering. I don’t want to be constantly soaking the foliage, too much risk of fungal disease.
Sounds like you’re gonna have a pretty sweet setup. I managed to get a bunch of solenoid valves tied in for some irrigation a few years back and haven’t gotten any further. However, I did manage to pipe several hose bibs around the property I’m still dragging hoses but they’re much shorter now.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s a start! With material prices it’s hard to want to do more right now. Plus it’s hard to find the time with my other perpetual renovations 🤣 I have a hose bib piped i. That garden area, worst case I can run a drip off a timer from that for a season or two.
Im still pulling 100’ in some sections lol. Hopefully your hose is shorter 😂

Dadayama

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm curious Gr8tfuldad, if you are going to try again this year. The trees you pictured look like JBP to me and I actually know a little about them but am not ready to get in a pissing match with anyone. I've been scouting the trees that I pick cones from and notice some are opening early... It is making me nervous so I guess I'm going cone hunting this weekend.

As others said, JPB can be an easy tree to grow from seed.

Video of this years:

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was hoping to get over and pickup some. I had really good germination. I did loose half of my batch, however, I feel this was due to a poor substrate. I will mix a drier mix next season. I should plan on heading over early one morning this week. Thanks for the reminder 😀

Top Bottom