Pines zone 10b

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would like to start a pine (“try to start” is probably more appropriate) but don’t know what pines do well in my area. I know slash pines are native to south Florida but they seem rather difficult to grow in a pot from what I’ve read. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@0soyoung I can’t find much info on these trees, at least not as bonsai.

Sounds like only one way to find out, then! Go collect/purchase a few and see what happens.

Not all that long ago many bonsai practitioners in America were convinced that Ponderosa Pine - for example - was not suitable for bonsai. Some still remain tethered to the Japanese species, but as far as I’m concerned Ponderosas have the potential to be world-class bonsai, in the right hands of course.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is why we style Ficus in Pine Shapes....

And Sniff AirDuster....cuz the bittering agent isn't enough deterrent, and it REALLY looks like a pine then!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Colorado I think you’re right, I’m gonna have to give it a try, I’m just not sure I can even keep a tree alive in a pot yet. Lol I would like one that has been grown and thrives in south Florida though because if it dies I know it’s my fault not because it’s way too hot for the species or not cold enough.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The only real way to learn this type of thing in my opinion is trial and error.

We’ve all killed trees in our bonsai journeys. Just learn from your mistakes and you’ll get the hang of it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Brian Van Fleet I did see them one there the last time I went but I kept reading they don't do well in my zone but they are literally 2 miles away. I'll ask on Saturday, I'm going for a beginners class so it's the perfect opportunity to ask a bunch of questions without feeling guilty. lol

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet I did see them one there the last time I went but I kept reading they don't do well in my zone but they are literally 2 miles away. I'll ask on Saturday, I'm going for a beginners class so it's the perfect opportunity to ask a bunch of questions without feeling guilty. lol
Well, I haven’t seen any big jbp listed at Miami Tropical, and the little ones they are offering are really overpriced, so maybe they don’t last too long. I know they survive in Orlando. Best of luck on the class, sounds like a great opportunity to advance your study.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
According to your hardiness zone, two pines will grow well
1. Pinus Roxburghii or Chir Pine (doubt if there are any in USA)
2. Afghan Pine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Ali Raza I’ll do some research on the , thanks. After a ton of research I’ve found a couple. Maybe Aleppo and stone pines can survive here, I have a ton of reading to do. Lol

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

As Brian said, it is really a good idea to talk to the people at Miami Tropical Bonsai. And I'm glad to see you are taking classes. This will help you in many areas of bonsai. And you will get to know other local bonsai growers.

Pinus radiata - Monterey pine - native to a very small region of California. This pine has been widely planted in sub tropical and tropical areas for pulp and timber. It is more ''tropical climate tolerant'' than Japanese black pine. It can be styled very much like a JBP. Except for the bark being more flakey, and reddish, it is a relatively good substitute for JBP. You might try one of them. They are also a 2 flush and possibly a 3 flush pine. Really tolerate warm winters well.

Casuarina and Allocasuarina - these 2 genera are from Australia and New Zealand. There are at least 2 that have become invasive species in southern Florida. They are leafless, in that they use green stems of twigs to do their photosynthesis. In Malaysia, Indonesia and parts of Australia they are used for bonsai and can be trained to give a very pine like appearance. Beefwood and She-oak are 2 of the common names for this genera. I think they do well in the Miami area. Ask about them at Miami Tropical Bonsai. I think you will like what you hear. You can probably fine good ones to collect along drainage ditches, roadsides and possibly for sale at Miami Tropical

You seem to be suffering climate zone envy - forget pines, embrace what grows well around you. There is a diversity of cool things in the Miami area that nobody in other regions of the country could possibly grow.

Get yourself over to Redland's Fruit and Spice Park. It is about 20 miles southwest of downtown Miami in Redland.
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_and_Spice_Park [/url]
24801 SW 187th Ave, Homestead, FL 33031
I've always heard the park talked about as being in Redlands, but apparently it is technically in Homestead.

Wander about, take pictures, taste the free samples in the visitor center. As you wander the park, note which species have naturally small leaves, and fine branching. These are the species that will have some ''bonsai potential''. If you like their flowers and fruit, that is even better. Take photos, smell the flowers, crush leaves and smell, and taste fruit.

Then after leaving the spice park head over to Robert is Here Fruit Stand. - 19200 SW 344th St, Homestead, FL 33034
and get yourself a Sapodilla smoothie. Or Pouteria smoothie, or any of the Passion fruit and other exotics they have. You might even get to taste a Mangosteen, allegedly one of the best tasting of the tropical fruits. Myself I prefer Sapodilla, and or ''Chocolate Pudding Fruit also called black sapote" - Diospyros digyna or D. nigra
Anyway the Fruit Stand will have fruit if in season, in quantities you can buy to take home where the Fruit and Spice park will only have samples you can taste on premises.

Embrace the fact that you can grow cool species for bonsai that also have good to eat fruit that nobody living more than 30 miles north of you could easily grow.

The park was part of a demonstration project of the USDA plant crop introduction and commercialization project. Parts of the park were first planted in the 1920's basically testing which exotic tropical fruits could be grown in southernmost Florida.

So if after visiting the Fruit and Spice park you still want to grow pines, I'll leave you alone. But really, the first time I visited the park, I was at an orchid festival held in the park, I was enchanted with all the exotic trees and fruits and spice trees I saw. It should change your life - LOL - just teasing, but it is a seriously cool place.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
As Brian said, it is really a good idea to talk to the people at Miami Tropical Bonsai. And I'm glad to see you are taking classes. This will help you in many areas of bonsai. And you will get to know other local bonsai growers.

Pinus radiata - Monterey pine - native to a very small region of California. This pine has been widely planted in sub tropical and tropical areas for pulp and timber. It is more ''tropical climate tolerant'' than Japanese black pine. It can be styled very much like a JBP. Except for the bark being more flakey, and reddish, it is a relatively good substitute for JBP. You might try one of them. They are also a 2 flush and possibly a 3 flush pine. Really tolerate warm winters well.

Casuarina and Allocasuarina - these 2 genera are from Australia and New Zealand. There are at least 2 that have become invasive species in southern Florida. They are leafless, in that they use green stems of twigs to do their photosynthesis. In Malaysia, Indonesia and parts of Australia they are used for bonsai and can be trained to give a very pine like appearance. Beefwood and She-oak are 2 of the common names for this genera. I think they do well in the Miami area. Ask about them at Miami Tropical Bonsai. I think you will like what you hear. You can probably fine good ones to collect along drainage ditches, roadsides and possibly for sale at Miami Tropical

You seem to be suffering climate zone envy - forget pines, embrace what grows well around you. There is a diversity of cool things in the Miami area that nobody in other regions of the country could possibly grow.

Get yourself over to Redland's Fruit and Spice Park. It is about 20 miles southwest of downtown Miami in Redland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_and_Spice_Park
24801 SW 187th Ave, Homestead, FL 33031
I've always heard the park talked about as being in Redlands, but apparently it is technically in Homestead.

Wander about, take pictures, taste the free samples in the visitor center. As you wander the park, note which species have naturally small leaves, and fine branching. These are the species that will have some ''bonsai potential''. If you like their flowers and fruit, that is even better. Take photos, smell the flowers, crush leaves and smell, and taste fruit.

Then after leaving the spice park head over to Robert is Here Fruit Stand. - 19200 SW 344th St, Homestead, FL 33034
and get yourself a Sapodilla smoothie. Or Pouteria smoothie, or any of the Passion fruit and other exotics they have. You might even get to taste a Mangosteen, allegedly one of the best tasting of the tropical fruits. Myself I prefer Sapodilla, and or ''Chocolate Pudding Fruit also called black sapote" - Diospyros digyna or D. nigra
Anyway the Fruit Stand will have fruit if in season, in quantities you can buy to take home where the Fruit and Spice park will only have samples you can taste on premises.

Embrace the fact that you can grow cool species for bonsai that also have good to eat fruit that nobody living more than 30 miles north of you could easily grow.

The park was part of a demonstration project of the USDA plant crop introduction and commercialization project. Parts of the park were first planted in the 1920's basically testing which exotic tropical fruits could be grown in southernmost Florida.

So if after visiting the Fruit and Spice park you still want to grow pines, I'll leave you alone. But really, the first time I visited the park, I was at an orchid festival held in the park, I was enchanted with all the exotic trees and fruits and spice trees I saw. It should change your life - LOL - just teasing, but it is a seriously cool place.
I wish I were living in that zone!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, ask forestry or just try some seed from Amazon.

Thus far J.B.pine grows here, as does Caribbean Pine [ Cuba ]
Honduran pine and the blend of Caribbean/Honduran [ Forestry ]
Just got some Huang [ China ] started.
Have one growing sold to us as Japanese Red Pine, from seed.
J.B.P coming up on 32 years from seed.
Hello from Trinidad, W.I.
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Leo in N E Illinois after the class I might just pick up the wife and make a day of it. We actually saw the fruit and spice park the other day but were in a hurry so we couldn’t stop but said we would take the time to check it out. Hopefully it doesn’t rain. Lol Robert is Here is great, love that place. I do have a little zone envy, a few trees I would love won’t do well here but a bunch do. What I realize since I picked up bonsai recently is of how unaware I am of all things natural around me. I fixate on architecture and art but rarely on nature. I only do nature on a bike but I’m usually to close to dying (due to lack of skill not dangerous trails hahaha) to be able to pay atttention even then but I noticed which means now I’m looking out, which I like. I have taken one road for years now to work that is much slower but much more scenic because it inspires me. It’s curvy, there are huge oaks, banyans, mangos and so many other beautiful trees I don’t know and the beautiful mansions it motivates me. Another thing that creates that zone envy is my link to bonsai is solely through the internet which is why I wanted to Take this class more than anything. I want to see bonsai in person, meet people whom I can talk about it with (also why I joined boinsainut) and luckily found a group that meets every second Tuesday of the month, I fount it one the second Wednesday, bummer. Lol thanks for the idea!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are doing the right things, the bicycle gets easier the more often ride, and is a good way to survey the neighborhood.

Glad you know where the Fruit and Spice Park is. And I have been tempted to have "Here is Robert's" ship me a case of sapodilla. Just haven't yet.

The more local bonsai people you meet, the better acquainted you will get with what grows well locally. So you are doing the "right things".
Leo

Top Bottom