Pinus ephemeralis, alias Stone Pine...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
From time-to-time around Christmas I sucker for a Stone Pine. I've never been able to keep one alive for more than the average lifespan of a fruitfly. This year I bought three and I'm going full bore to cure or kill with immediate bare root repoting. Has anyone ever kept one of these as a "tree"? I'm almost convinced these are annuals that come with a little wood for a casket.

Show me.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My wife brought this one home from work four or five years ago. I have done nothing except slip it into a bigger pot (no root work). We often go out of town for the holidays, so we bring it inside and decorate when we don't want to splurge on a XMAS tree.

Last year, it popped out different needles on top, which I assume is mature foliage compared to the existing juvenile foliage.

IMG_8295.JPG . IMG_5266.JPG

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got a Pinus pinea that was half dead when I bought it for a dollar after Xmas and is 7/8ths dead now. I'm in too cold of a zone to winter it outside and thought I might limp it along indoors until spring. I might have, too, if someone had ever bothered to water it before I bought it.

Top Bottom