Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi guys,

tree after purchase:

IMG_20230205_133337.jpg

Tree after some pruning & wiring

IMG_20230208_224708.jpg

Improvement or not? I might have left too many branches down at the trunk, but I wanted to keep all options open. Maybe not the right choice.

Suggestions on how to bring more movement in the straight trunk? Seems really unbendable to me.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I think this material was grown with an idea of much smaller tree... leveraging only first/lowest layer of branches... rest was sacrifice hence it's so straight. So I think majority of people will say chop lower... above first layer of branches... put it back to the ground and grow for couple/few years to build the new top.
It's obviously my personal opinion but the tree is really straight above first whorl... plus lengthy branches that will need either a back bud by generating strong growth or grafting.
Technically it's probably not a bad execution... sorry if I sounded too critical...

PS... one more thing (just editing)... I think there is too many branches in this first whorl... based on your picture it might already starting to create structural problem (swelling in this part)... so probably some of them needs to go...

Last edited:
Top Bottom