Pitoon's "Azalea 2020-2025" entry

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
@Clorgan I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. No real noticeable changes to post on the contest tree. Some buds are starting to push on the branches that I cut back, but that's about it.

Here's some other azaleas i'm working on...…

View attachment 310982View attachment 310983View attachment 310984View attachment 310985

Yeah I decided to enter so was having a mooch at the entries so far, thought it'd be fun to take part. Shame I started a bit too late to see the flowers this year. Oh nice, look like they're doing well! Enjoying looking at all the azalea threads, full of great info. Repotting will probaby be the next step for mine.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like that first 'Violetta' best. That one budded so well! I also have a Violetta, and chopped it a bit. Waiting for some budding on some of them to post them in a thread. Luckily for all of us, you submitted that big white miss Dorothy!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like that first 'Violetta' best. That one budded so well! I also have a Violetta, and chopped it a bit. Waiting for some budding on some of them to post them in a thread. Luckily for all of us, you submitted that big white miss Dorothy!
I like that one the best as well, but it has a decent size bulge I don't like. I hope to hide it as the branches develop. If not I may have to carve it down some and see if it heals over.

2020-06-22 19.09.29.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
At @Forsoothe! request for pics......

Here's pics of all sides, first lower branch has grown as long as I want it and tip has been removed, needs to be rewired now.
thumbnail_20200702_074354.jpgthumbnail_20200702_074406.jpgthumbnail_20200702_074418.jpgthumbnail_20200702_074430.jpg

New growth emerging now since all tips have been removed. I will now focus on building the finer branching. Once I see the wire start to slightly bite it will be removed and rewired.
thumbnail_20200702_074443.jpgthumbnail_20200702_074449.jpgthumbnail_20200702_074457.jpgthumbnail_20200702_074509.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update: Wire was slightly starting to bite so it was time to remove it. The main branches are pretty much set where I want them. Foliage was removed to begin the ramification process. Hopefully in a month I'll have something to work with again.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update: The azalea has back budded in decent locations, except for one branch. It looks as if I may have to work more on this particular branch to get it where I want it to be, but overall i'm happy with where it's at today. This azalea has been pushed beyond it's limits. Now it will be allowed to grow out until next year. Possibly some wiring here and there until the next pruning.

thumbnail_20200805_143437.jpgthumbnail_20200805_143449.jpgthumbnail_20200805_143509.jpgthumbnail_20200805_143534.jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for documenting all of your steps! Definitely didn't expect it to be able to take two full defoliations in a year. Impressive.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interesting that you are doing a second prune so quickly. I guess it makes sense. Especially since you probably want some tapering on the branches. But you also have quite a few years to the end of the competition. But it is backbudding quite well, so you can't argue with results.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It remains to be seen if this is a genius move or suicide. It has to live for 4 1/2 more years. Being ahead in year one of five is pleasant, but this is not like an auto race and no lap money is awarded. Defoliating twice a year assumes good winters and good springs. Sometime that's asking for too much. Bona furtuna.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nah, it is not suicide. It is growing. But I was wondering about if it is better or worse. There is an energy reservoir in the plant, of course. And energy is being used from that reservoir the moment the plant has to metabolize (and it has as long as it is alive) without leaves for photosynthesis.

The question is if the taper you are getting right now, from backbudding all over these branches, is something you actually want in 5 years. I don't know the answer. Could be that the branches you have right now are getting too fat in 5 years.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
An important part of late summer & autumn is maturing buds for next spring. Defoliating too late in the year can interfere with that process resulting in a silent spring.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some of my kurume have flower buds already. It is extremely unlikely this plant will have any flowers next year. It is more of a debate on if he/she is paying too much to get a result right now that could also be bought further down the road. I like the idea behind the 'prune hard, then let it grow out like crazy, then prune hard again' philosophy. But I can't compare results from personal experience. I don't see the harm in excessive growth as long as you can always go in, prune it, and get backbudding.

Would pinching just the tips have given the same level of backbudding? Probably not. But more leaves -> more energy -> more backbudding in response to pruning. And there is no rush to get a second level of ramification. But since it succeeded, there is the option to let it grow out now without the need to prune it. Becaues all the growth now will be secondary and not primary. I wouldn't prune it at all next year and maybe consider pinching some apical tips if they really get many cms in length.

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The azalea responded well to the second pruning. The primary branches are starting to thicken up some. Still looks like I may have to rework one branch as the buds are popping on the underside of the branch. A new lower bud emerged and I'm considering to adding that into the development. But since its the lowest branch in theory it should also be the thickest branch.....it will have a long way to catch and surpass the other branches. Only option would be to let it grow as a sacrificial branch then trim it back.

20200810_104214.jpg20200810_102905.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
At this point I'd would let it grow if it were mine. You can remove a few new buds if they pop where you don't want 'em, but no more pruning on branches you want to keep. Let the tree rebuild strength until spring. At least that is what I would do. Your summer is longer, and your winters are more mild, so if you get really good growth you could be more aggressive, but if it were mine, I would "back away from the the tree", put the pruning shears down, and give it a break.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
At this point I'd would let it grow if it were mine. You can remove a few new buds if they pop where you don't want 'em, but no more pruning on branches you want to keep. Let the tree rebuild strength until spring. At least that is what I would do. Your summer is longer, and your winters are more mild, so if you get really good growth you could be more aggressive, but if it were mine, I would "back away from the the tree", put the pruning shears down, and give it a break.
No more pruning for this azalea till next spring. I've asked a lot from it and it delivered.......it deserves a break! From this point further I'll just be wiring branches into position.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Quick update: The azalea has filled in nicely. There are some branches that aren't needed, but I'll let those grow out to prepare the tree for winter. Other branches I plan to keep will get wired as soon as they harden off a bit more.

20200828_163121.jpg20200828_163131.jpg
20200828_163220.jpg

Top Bottom