Plant Identification

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I walk around a lot at lunch and for over a year I have had my eye on this thing. Can someone tell me possibly what it might be? It is growing up the side of a building, I can't tell if it's a vine or a tree just really close to the building. In the first picture the woody section appears to be round like a tree limb. Bark is smooth.

It has these awesome heaping clusters of orange berries. Any ideas?
IMG_6924.JPGIMG_6925.JPG

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks guys. I knew this was the right place to ask this question!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pyracantha are very easy to root. That can save years of seedling development and with a cutting you know what you're getting.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does it affect them if you cut the thorns off? The thorns were one of the reasons I didn't look into them up to this point?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it affect them if you cut the thorns off? The thorns were one of the reasons I didn't look into them up to this point?
Probably not but I will defer to those that have them.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
They are called firethorn because pain is far more intense than most other thorny plants.
With thorns you will grow to hate working on a pyracantha and so do less than needed. Cut thorns to make it comfortable to be near it and you will enjoy the tree far more.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I got grazed by a landscape one last week and can still feel it. Little buggers. Really pretty plants though.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is actually a mild toxin in the thorns and you can expect soreness at puncture sites for 2 or 3 days. When I was working at a large nursery ( or 2, or 3) Wintergreen Barberry was the most villainous plant. If you let the help know that a load was being delivered the next day, half the labor would call in sick.

Top Bottom