Please help troubleshoot declining health on a birds nest spruce. Fungus or pests?

Snowsandwich

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It has been growing well all season till about a month ago. The needles started browning and now they are falling. It was collected two springs ago and has been in 100% pumice. It gets full afternoon sun. Thanks in advance. Photos: http://imgur.com/a/wC5K3

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Without "white" in the name, leaves one open to believe "yellow" May be a valid given.

Like in...

Put a bird in the spruce!

(You) Put a bird in the spruce!

Of course, I can be COMPLETELY off, and it may stand for a new way to injest cocaine!

Snowboarder?

Are we cutting the crust off first?

It's called a Birds nest spruce, because it is reliant on an enzyme given off by the chick's.
That only occurs by eating regurgitated food.
It is then created in the gut of the young bird, and deposited in the droppings.

They can live up to 5 or 6 years without a nest, but they will continue to decline.

You have to place it as high as you can on your bench, preferably amongst other trees so the birds find it inviting.

Ahhhh...that's enough!

I'm Bullshitting!

The pics won't load!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Snowsandwich

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Without "white" in the name, leaves one open to believe "yellow" May be a valid given.

Like in...

Put a bird in the spruce!

(You) Put a bird in the spruce!

Of course, I can be COMPLETELY off, and it may stand for a new way to injest cocaine!

Snowboarder?

Are we cutting the crust off first?

It's called a Birds nest spruce, because it is reliant on an enzyme given off by the chick's.
That only occurs by eating regurgitated food.
It is then created in the gut of the young bird, and deposited in the droppings.

They can live up to 5 or 6 years without a nest, but they will continue to decline.

You have to place it as high as you can on your bench, preferably amongst other trees so the birds find it inviting.

Ahhhh...that's enough!

I'm Bullshitting!

The pics won't load!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Great advice! Thanks for the tips. If I get lucky, maybe a Pterodactyl will nest in it? Here are the pics:IMG_20170828_122024.jpg IMG_20170828_122033.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How long has that tree been in that pot? Is it recently collected?

Looks like heat/sun damage to me - exacerbated by distressed roots(?)

Snowsandwich

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How long has that tree been in that pot? Is it recently collected?

Looks like heat/sun damage to me - exacerbated by distressed roots(?)
I collected it out of my yard and it has been in that pot for about a year and a half. It definitely limped through last growing season, and then endured a very wet winter. However, it did push pretty decent this spring. I was optimistic till now. It has been a hot summer here (Portland, OR). One week in early August it was 95-105 F for 5 or so days straight. It also gets heavy afternoon sun. Can Spruce tolerate full sun if healthy?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's the combination of sun, heat, and whether or not the foliage is used to it (assuming the roots are ok). If the tree used to grow in a shady area, and the new growth was pushed while the tree was protected, and then you moved the tree into the sun, it will scorch. The needles will literally look like someone took a blowtorch to them - browning from the tips in. The branches will also brown as well - on the tops first and then the whole branch will brown and die.

Keys to look for: is the browning worse on older foliage? Is it most prevalent on the exposed surfaces of the tree? Can you find lower foliage, on the bottom or inner parts of the tree that look fine?

Sun damage on a Picea orientalis 'Skylands'

spruce1.jpg

Undamaged foliage on the protected side of the tree:

spruce2.jpg

Normally this would not be an issue in the Pacific NW but you guys have been getting hammered with hot weather this summer.

Snowsandwich

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's the combination of sun, heat, and whether or not the foliage is used to it (assuming the roots are ok). If the tree used to grow in a shady area, and the new growth was pushed while the tree was protected, and then you moved the tree into the sun, it will scorch. The needles will literally look like someone took a blowtorch to them - browning from the tips in. The branches will also brown as well - on the tops first and then the whole branch will brown and die.

Keys to look for: is the browning worse on older foliage? Is it most prevalent on the exposed surfaces of the tree? Can you find lower foliage, on the bottom or inner parts of the tree that look fine?

Sun damage on a Picea orientalis 'Skylands'

View attachment 158645

Undamaged foliage on the protected side of the tree:

View attachment 158646

Normally this would not be an issue in the Pacific NW but you guys have been getting hammered with hot weather this summer.
Thanks for the info. The tree has been in the same spot all year, however, it starts the growing season with a lot of shade from my house, then one day the sun is above my house and bam,,,lots of sun. It does look similar to your example of sun damage. It does look worse on older foliage. I will take a close look at the protected foliage and see if it looks any better. I am pretty sure it does though. Plus the timing of our weather and the decline of health makes sense with your sun damage diagnosis. For now, I will move the tree into some shade and protect it this winter from too much rain and hope for the best next season in a better spot. Also, I was going to repot it this coming spring....maybe not a good idea now?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would not repot it. It needs to recover, start growing and get strong first IMO.

I'd put it where it gets a little morning sun and shade in the afternoon.

Top Bottom