Please...talk me out of this bonsai...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It is sort of why I posted the question of favorite bonsai and why...hoping to understand what may make a good choice for me come next year.

Good "beginner" species include:

Chinese Elms
Trident Maples
Shimpaku junipers
Azaleas
Green Island Ficus (tropical...inside for the winter)

They are all forgiving, easy to train, relatively fast-growing, and normally not prone to a lot of pest/disease problems. They will need some winter protection in Ohio.

True of any of candidate: look for good, radial, woody surface roots (nebari), properly tapering, scar-free trunk, and good primary branch structure; in that order. For now, don't look for "unusual" features, they can be difficult to work with. Start with something bigger as they have greater margin of error, more to do, and are easier to manipulate. Look at the Trident Maples and some of the Chinese Elms on this site:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/specimendec.htm

By contrast, that wisteria had a high exposed root, reverse tapering trunk, long un-forked branch, and the only attractive part was the fleeting flower out on the end.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good "beginner" species include:

Chinese Elms
Trident Maples
Shimpaku junipers
Azaleas
Green Island Ficus (tropical...inside for the winter)

They are all forgiving, easy to train, relatively fast-growing, and normally not prone to a lot of pest/disease problems. They will need some winter protection in Ohio.

True of any of candidate: look for good, radial, woody surface roots (nebari), properly tapering, scar-free trunk, and good primary branch structure; in that order. For now, don't look for "unusual" features, they can be difficult to work with. Start with something bigger as they have greater margin of error, more to do, and are easier to manipulate. Look at the Trident Maples and some of the Chinese Elms on this site:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/specimendec.htm

By contrast, that wisteria had a high exposed root, reverse tapering trunk, long un-forked branch, and the only attractive part was the fleeting flower out on the end.

Is there another flowering one...besides the Azalea? Those are highly toxic to dogs...and I have a leaf nipper...

The Chinese elm...I believed was mentioned could be used as a weeping form. I need to see what goes into care on that.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Is there another flowering one...besides the Azalea? Those are highly toxic to dogs...and I have a leaf nipper...

Smaller fruited prunus, crab apples (which I think you're already on) Pear. Rosemary? fer a tender tree*.

A baby rosemary probably aint tree enough. But they are dirt cheap and don't stay young forever. An' DO bloom.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Many ornamental shrubs are toxic in way or another if ingested. That's one of many reasons why we keep our trees on benches;). Seriously, I would never keep my nice or more refined trees ANYWHERE where my dogs might prune it without my input:cool:.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

First I've heard they're toxic to dogs; hopefully they're not also tasty to them. Azaleas and dogs in every corner of our world here, including my back yard and I've never seen a problem.

More importantly, you are setting yourself up for utter failure if your dog has access to your bonsai at all. Bonsai belong secured on a 3' tall bench.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Many ornamental shrubs are toxic in way or another if ingested. That's one of many reasons why we keep our trees on benches;). Seriously, I would never keep my nice or more refined trees ANYWHERE where my dogs might prune it without my input:cool:.

I actually purchased a book called. "Poisonous Plants: A Handbook for Pharmacists, Doctors, Toxicologists, Biologists and Veterinarians" I have a leaf nipper who is quite quick. She can't leave the cone flowers alone...but most trees and such she don't mess with,but don't wish to push my luck...but where I wish to keep these...is a bare spot leading up on my deck a small deck/landing area...if I can. Where visitors pass by. Full afternoon sun for the most part. Is where I would love to put a flowering/weeping bonsai...but I do have a no dog zone area...but less viewed by visitors. She won't step foot off the flagstone sidewalk back there. That gets morning sun...and a bit of shade under trees with huge boulders planted in the flower beds...under the stretch of branches to use for monkey poles maybe. But...winterizing I would have to bring them closer to the house...out of that zone for more protection...I was considering under my small landing where we have our central air unit somewhat blocked off with partial fencing...but enough for air flow...just three sides really closed...but it should block the wind come winter...yet gets a bit of snow. I can walk back there...it isn't a crawl space area like under a porch...one water faucet is back there as well...I can stand up and walk in the area.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
More importantly, you are setting yourself up for utter failure if your dog has access to your bonsai at all. Bonsai belong secured on a 3' tall bench.

Brian said it a bit more bluntly then I did, but I can't agree more with him. Dogs and bonsai don't mix...at all. As far as wintering the trees near your house, you can put up a temporary fence (burlap for a windbreak if needed).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First I've heard they're toxic to dogs; hopefully they're not also tasty to them. Azaleas and dogs in every corner of our world here, including my back yard and I've never seen a problem.

I can do a 3' tall bench there! There's is plenty of space for it! I will do just that...and possibly look toward an azalea then... I somehow missed this post until it was quoted by another. :cool:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brian said it a bit more bluntly then I did, but I can't agree more with him. Dogs and bonsai don't mix...at all. As far as wintering the trees near your house, you can put up a temporary fence (burlap for a windbreak if needed).
. Thanks for the suggestion...had not thought of that.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The local farm supply should have hard wood stakes in various lengths and burlap in 2-3 widths by the foot. We drop in stakes and staple the burlap to it - fast and inexpensive, also can be reused several seasons ;)

Top Bottom