Please...talk me out of this bonsai...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know it is toxic to dogs...but it only is a gastrointestinal for the most part...no documented deaths. (Human or animal checked my poisonous plant book veterinarians and doctors use... And I do have a leaf nipper...but I can keep this up from her. Not having it in her path to have access to...though...going into winter is it wise to make such a purchase?

AGE - This tree is at least 10 yrs old , and has been created as a leaning semi-cascade style . Wonderful grey textured bark , exposed rootspread and trunk give a great impression of age even though its small .
POT - The pot is a very classic white rectangle , 18 cm L x 12 cm wide x 7 cm deep .
SIZE - Tree ht 28 cm x 35 cm w .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 66

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Doesn't do much for me. The base is small and roots look out of place. That long branch doesn't really cut it for me either. It's just kind of, there. I feel it should at least be cascading or doing something beneficial...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Darlene,
Do you want the truth? This is a very poor example of a cascade bonsai. Poor in structure and also health. For the most part, good cascades have a clear apex, they have subtle and smooth movement. They have branches that flow with the trunk to make one beautiful composition.

This tree has no real branches, the trunk doesn't have nice movement. Actually, there are a couple of bends that do not go along with the flow of the tree. Also, the tree begins by growing all the way up, then starts to grow down in a place that looks completely unnatural.

If you like this tree, there is nothing wrong with that. Just know that as far as bonsai goes, this is not considered a nice or well structured bonsai.

Rob

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buy a trunk, grow a top. It's got a trunk for a shohin tree and a flower for a large tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doesn't do much for me. The base is small and roots look out of place. That long branch doesn't really cut it for me either. It's just kind of, there. I feel it should at least be cascading or doing something beneficial...

It reminded me more of a slant...then a cascade. Which...I am drawn toward. I can just picture letting the top fill in more with branches...And the blooms draping down.

But I need brought down a few...for wintering a new bonsai and being new to it in general seems foolish to get it and try to do such a thing.

So if there is nothing worthy of this...I need to know. It would be with shipping three digits which isn't huge if it was bonsai material...one I could work with...Without waiting for it to grow more.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you buy it, throw it in the ground for a decade and let it get thick. I think the species is a good example of a tree best gathered from some old established landscaping.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s. This goes along with my reply in post #5.

This is considered a nice cascade. It is not my tree, but I thought it was a nice example.

Rob

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So if there is nothing worthy of this...I need to know. It would be with shipping three digits which isn't huge if it was bonsai material...one I could work with...Without waiting for it to grow more.

Triple digits?! That would be a big NO from me. Not worth it.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Absolutely, not worth it. This tree is not worth anywhere near that. The tree itself is worth maybe $25 add another $20 for the pot and I am being generous with these numbers.

Rob

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Unless two digits come after the decimal. They are trying to sucker you in with the flower. Take off the flower and there is not much left.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks everyone...so not interested now...it is beautiul when it blooms...if put where my dog won't nip at it. Which is easily doable...I may look into one of these...it is on my list of possibilities.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Honestly, I won't take it even if you offer it to me for free.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks everyone...so not interested now...it is beautiul when it blooms...if put where my dog won't nip at it. Which is easily doable...I may look into one of these...it is on my list of possibilities.

If you do manage to get one, get one with a larger trunk. They may be hard to find, but know that the young ones won't bloom. They take a number of years before they can bloom.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First, Wisteria is fantastic...for the three weeks they're blooming...if you can get it to bloom. After that, they grow unruly and obnoxiously, and tend to throw foliage everywhere and never bloom.

I had one in a pot for a few years, half of the trunk rotted, so it went in the ground to grow a new primary branch structure. Every month I need to hack back 6' tendrils as it climbs into the fence, and over the stands it's planted under... and rescue my dog from its grip (not really).

Second, as others have noted, this is not a good bonsai. If you're getting into this hobby as passionately as it seems, it's time to learn about selection of good material; from the bottom-up. Something I wrote earlier about selecting a tree, mostly applicable in collecting as well as purchasing outright:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...-collecting-wild-material&p=149074#post149074

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First, Wisteria is fantastic...for the three weeks they're blooming...if you can get it to bloom. After that, they grow unruly and obnoxiously, and tend to throw foliage everywhere and never bloom.

I had one in a pot for a few years, half of the trunk rotted, so it went in the ground to grow a new primary branch structure. Every month I need to hack back 6' tendrils as it climbs into the fence, and over the stands it's planted under... and rescue my dog from its grip (not really).

Second, as others have noted, this is not a good bonsai. If you're getting into this hobby as passionately as it seems, it's time to learn about selection of good material; from the bottom-up. Something I wrote earlier about selecting a tree, mostly applicable in collecting as well as purchasing outright:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...-collecting-wild-material&p=149074#post149074

Thanks Brian...I will check out your link...no more impulse buying!!! I really want to research the best option for me to invest come spring...but...those showy blooms distracted me. But your story gives me a sense of relieve that I asked first and this passed without a purchase!!!

It is sort of why I posted the question of favorite bonsai and why...hoping to understand what may make a good choice for me come next year...along with the list if possible weeping from another post thread I started.

Top Bottom