Popup greenhouse for new winter storage setup

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

It's fair to say that this year has been rough on my bonsai journey. Like many of you, I struggle to come up with a winter setup. In North Carolina we don't get consistently cold weather but we do get swings in the low teens followed by relatively warm weather. It's not uncommon to have trees leaf out only to have hard freezes. This results in either the bonsai shuffle in and out of shed or some type of modifiable setup. In years past, I would put my trees on the ground and mulch around them. This worked well but I would have terrible fungal problems because of all the moisture. Plus, I would have to put all my shohin in the shed which filled up a lot of space. Last year, I built a small pvc framed greenhouse for my bonsai. I thought it was a great setup, but I lost three trees for the first time ever. My mistake was that it was too hard to access and thus I couldn't adequately check for water. I think some of my trees dried out and just never leafed out this Spring.

This year, I committed to a much better setup. I wanted an arrangement that would allow adequate protection, did not rely on the bonsai shuffle to the shed, and would let me inspect my trees easily throughout the winter. I have a pergola that covers half my trees that I built and have modified several years ago. You can see the progression here. It's really nice and provides a great space to view and work on my trees.

I decided to adapt the pergola to create a popup greenhouse. I added some simple 2x4s to provide support and a clean lip to the pergola edges. Then, I used 3 mil plastic sheeting typically used for painting from Home Depot. A 10 x 100 ft box cost me about $60. I laid the sheeting over the pergola and then attached it to the frame with screws and washers over some duct tape for reinforcement. I then installed simple zippers to the front and back. This allows me to leave the sides open when it is warm, provides easy access to the space, but it can be closed to seal it in. The zippers are 7 feet long, but I wish they were a couple feet higher. There is adequate space to put all of my trees. I also put some left over pink insulation boards and some simple 1x2s crosswise along the top to provide support. This also gives a slight slope to the roof to prevent rain/snow build up. If it gets really cold, I can always leave a small space heater in there to provide a little extra warmth. Right now I just loop the 'doors' over the pergola braces, but I'll probably come up with something a little easier. All told, I spent about $100 in materials and about 5-6 hours of labor.

I hope this works better and can provide others with some inspiration.

Lars

image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage4.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks nice and roomy, you should be able to actually get some winter work done with that setup.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am debating whether to enclose my mulch pile with something similar and have some questions. I've found these type of pop ups do not actually control the temps at all and that the benefits are wind protection and also controlling the amount of water the trees receive. Frost covers seem to do a better job at protecting against frost, although getting enough for all my trees is more expensive than even a large pop up greenhouse. Thoughts?

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought it about doing that to my pergola…my wife already had plans for a “glorious winter wonderland Christmas light display”…

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am debating whether to enclose my mulch pile with something similar and have some questions. I've found these type of pop ups do not actually control the temps at all and that the benefits are wind protection and also controlling the amount of water the trees receive. Frost covers seem to do a better job at protecting against frost, although getting enough for all my trees is more expensive than even a large pop up greenhouse. Thoughts?
Yeah, for winter protection of outdoor bonsai you can't beat frost blankets.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Certainly the wind cover and water control are a given. I have some temperature probes that record measurements over time so I can get some objective measurements and report them back. I was actually more worried that there would be too much ambient heat during they day since there is dead space in the top. I do know that I had good temperature control in my much smaller pop up cold frame last year.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use cotton drop cloths for a few…pvc frame..works pretty good for me

Attachments

• 2DDA724B-889D-4D6C-99D7-4E51701B36B1.jpeg
    2DDA724B-889D-4D6C-99D7-4E51701B36B1.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 31

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use cotton drop cloths for a few…pvc frame..works pretty good for me
I really debated using a more durable material. It would cost more but would be much hardier and multi-year. I assume I am going to have to throw away the plastic at the end of the season. I considered using some modular hard plastic sheeting material that would provide structural support. I'm really using this season as a proof of concept. If it goes well, then I may invest in a more renewable system.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really debated using a more durable material. It would cost more but would be much hardier and multi-year. I assume I am going to have to throw away the plastic at the end of the season. I considered using some modular hard plastic sheeting material that would provide structural support. I'm really using this season as a proof of concept. If it goes well, then I may invest in a more renewable system.
I built this small shack for about $50. It’s only 4x4x4 but I don’t have a lot of trees. I do have a small greenhouse I cover in the so the sun doesn’t skyrocket the heat, I keep a few in there too

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope this works better and can provide others with some inspiration.
I like it! I’ll be interested in hearing the temp difference from ambient. We have a pergola over the back porch and we entertained wrapping it in plastic, but not for bonsai. It might be good spot for us to move the tomato starts and harden them off before planting out.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had some rain last night and I didn't like how much pooling there was on roof with the thin plastic material. So, I bought some 1" plastic foam boards from Home Depot and threw them up top to provide more support. This will also probably help to reduce the heating by blocking direct sunlight from the top.

IMG_8418.jpg

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last night we got temperatures into the high 20s. I placed two digital temperature probes next to each other in the afternoon and then at 5pm I moved one into the enclosure and the other stayed on the bench just next to the enclosure. Here are graphs of the temperature logs. You can see at 5pm yesterday they were the same temperature. The enclosure at baseline was about 5 degrees warmer, but then it stayed consistently warmer with fewer fluctuations throughout the night. At the coldest this morning at 6 am it was about 28 degrees outside but still 36 degrees inside. The gap looks to be about 5-8 degrees on average. I suspect that I could tighten up the enclosure a bit more and water the benches/ground to provide a greater heat sink as well. Temperatures are expected to be closer to the low 20s tonight so another good test.

1668685933939.png

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ya'll winter set ups be getting scientific AF😁
This was actually really easy. I just bought two Kestrel temperature probes. They are cool little devices often marketed to people hiking. You just connect to bluetooth and then can download the data directly to your computer. It's all simple off the shelf stuff.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those foam boards likely cause a big reduction in radiative cooling vs. plain plastic. A few degrees I bet.

Top Bottom