Portulacaria afra suffering

anappel

Seed
Reaction score
Hey, I've got a small cutting with 5 leaves. At first I planted it in a normal soil... one leaf at the bottom has got dry yellow and fell. I cut it again, let it dry and plant them in a sandy soil. Another leaf just fell by accident. So there's 3 left. But I'm in a dry winter (13/20 C degrees). I've been watering them, no changes in the leaves (they seem healthy) But no roots are coming out, and I'm afraid it's rotten. What do I do?? thank you, guys.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's best not to water cutting of succulents like Afras too much. Give them time and stop cutting them shorter. Loose, well draining soil is best. I've seen them root in deep leaf litter under a tree. Put them somewhere shady and then just water occasionally, like once every week or two. Maybe even only once a month. Wait and see. Succulents are hardy but slow growers, so they may seem dead or dormant for a while. They do better with neglect. If the cuttings still have enough energy after being reduced, they'll eventually grow some roots, and then new leaves. That could even take a year. I wouldn't panic unless you see the stems shrivel and turn black from the base. They're goners then and you'll need new cuttings. Best of luck.

anappel

Seed
Reaction score
Wow, thank you so much. I brought this from a trip and it's very special to me, so I was over-caring. I can't get new cuttings tho. I'll try to be more chilled about it. I hope it grows with no leaves, in case all of them fall off. Thank you again.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Leave it outside for a couple weeks and forget about it. Provided it gets sun and stays above 10C or so, it'll root just fine.

I would be more cautious about overwatering cuttings indoors but if they can be set outside and be kept from cold I don't think it matters

Top Bottom