Post em' Up! Non-Coniferous Yamadori in the Americas

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Comment about a Marie1uk post on page 11. Fabulous Field Maple trunk bark.
I hope my tree in the ground gets a rough bark soon. My Field Maple tree is still hovering around the juvenile lighter brown slightly pebbled trunk surface. There may be different types of Field Maples....perhaps mine is destined to stay smoother for a few decades....I'm thinking that maybe I'll take my Field Maple out of the "field" and into a growing box.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 41

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Am I understanding that this tree is still in the ground, not the one pictured but the one you mentioned?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Am I understanding that this tree is still in the ground, not the one pictured but the one you mentioned?
If you referred to my comment about. Moving from the ground to a box....I meant that my tree is in the ground. The tree I placed in the thumbnail is the tree from Marie1uk posting. I still have winter...no photos yet of my tree. Marie's tree has the fabulous bark. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You see....when Bunjeh was asked the question......he may have misunderstood it.
If he read it at all.

Now.

When people start replying to Vance with,
"Oh, silly Vance, I didn't mean, X, I meant Y", everything will be OK.

But when what Vance says doesn't make sense.....and you just go along with it, confusion reigns.

You see.....If "uncover true Yamadori" meant "to us", Vance would be right.

But I'm 99% sure Bunjeh meant "uncover, for himself".

You are either gonna realize Vance is a good dude who has been attacked enough to read a post as an attack when it isn't, or you can act like a disrespectful impish child who keeps talking shit.

It wasn't even this thread that put forth the context that made that seem like an attack. I think it was the one on "masterpieces".

I'm cool with everyone in this "war".
But it is based on a misunderstanding that makes sense if you THINK just a little.

So continuing it makes you all look stupid!

Bunjeh got no right to call someone a Bitch.
That's easy to do online.
Not so easy to a grown man's face.

Forget not.....
Reading is a requirement here.

Sorce
Nothing makes me happier than seeing the sorcerer unveil his cloak to become the person speaking most sense on this thread. Either it's a misunderstanding or not, time to move on. For what it's worth, I may even contribute to this thread, even though I don't qualify as an American ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you referred to my comment about. Moving from the ground to a box....I meant that my tree is in the ground. The tree I placed in the thumbnail is the tree from Marie1uk posting. I still have winter...no photos yet of my tree. Marie's tree has the fabulous bark. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

That was exactly what I was asking about, no confusion, I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Part of the problem you are having with your tree not barking up is because the tree is still in the ground. Once the tree is placed in a container of sorts the bark will start to form because the girth is not out pacing the tree's ability to build layers upon previous layers. My theory buy I have seen it many times in Pines.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elm.

Sorce
American elm? Damn, you guys seem to have so many options with collecting. Our laws prevent us from digging up random trees, which is a good thing. Just gotta find private property and a nice property owner. Or be in the right place at the right time on a construction site. Good thing Aussie's are easily bribed with beer, though I'm still yet to uncover a true 'yamadori'

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here again you have to define what you mean by a "True Yamadori"? I would be genuinely interested to read your response if you do not mind sharing it.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My personal understanding is a stunted, OLD tree, weather beaten. A trunk we strive for in bonsai, with useable branches. Something of significant age with a story to tell. Yamadori may just translate to tree from the mountains, but I believe it should be something to respect in the highest regard. A tree that seemingly needs saving before mother Nature swallows it, yet will continue to survive regardless of human intervention. That's the way I see it. And it genuinely annoys me when I see people doing garden Reno's and bragging about their new yamadori. Or walking deep into a forest and ripping out a straight uninteresting trunk from the ground to save a couple of bucks and waste a couple of years on boring material. Yamadori is mother nature's gems

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That was exactly what I was asking about, no confusion, I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Part of the problem you are having with your tree not barking up is because the tree is still in the ground. Once the tree is placed in a container of sorts the bark will start to form because the girth is not out pacing the tree's ability to build layers upon previous layers. My theory buy I have seen it many times in Pines.
Thanks! I did not know that. I will be giving the move to the box a try....and see if I can get some roughing started. All along I just figured the opposite was true...in the ground makes rough bark and in a box bark stays smooth. This is the right time of the year for me to make the move to a box also...well...as soon as the temperature warms up and the buds start to swell anyway. It might be a few weeks yet for me to see that spring growth starting. In pulling from the ground I need to do a root pruning.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
haha im still looking for true yamadori as well, every time I think I found it, the internet shits on it. so I move on and look for more. takes balls to post on the internet. great resource really, cant find anyone else to shit on my yamadori ideas. I dont really think anyone here is a bigot, thats a pretty big insult, uncalled for really. I think bonsai people are of a higher intelligence in general, thus above general bigotry. misinterpretation im sure.

Anyway I just secured a new hunting lease with 4 huge wood lots on it. cant wait to scout my deer stands, look for mushrooms and of course the elusive "true" yamdori. which I think in Japan, refers to old weathered tree on a mountain withstanding the harsh environment stunting growth, which if captured, will look immediately like a blue ribbon bonsai tree. I interpret it as a wild tree that can be made into a believable bonsai, with hopes in a short amount of training time, but possible with long training with bonsai techniques. anyway this one is not great, but its a hack berry, and I want to work with some hack berry. does anyone think a believable transition can be made at the first left branch as the new leader? right branch is on the same level.. trunk is straight and the roots are a mystery. there is a lot of rot just above it, my thought is it could be carved to a nice transition.. thoughts? the tree is very much alive.

4yrkVtX.jpg

wN9DhGo.jpg

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
lol Jermey seeming explained about what I do, but its not JUST to save a few bucks, that is one reason for sure, but its more about the potential of making a great tree that I found, recognized myself, captured myself, with hopes of one day it being acceptable bonsai. I'm getting better, just like an old pro continues to get better at more refined aspects of the art. yamadori recognition is learned, the ability comes with age and experience like a fine wine. As I retain more basic bonsai fundamentals, I see things in the woods now that I wouldn't have seen last year, including the flaws, most importantly the flaws really. I walk through the woods every day, they are my happy, peaceful place. I study books, the internet, and practice methods on my unimpressive trees, but some of the most important study comes from the woods.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Since it has not clearly been established what "True Yamadori" is I'm posting this "Nottobe Yamadori". (Also know in certain regions as "Nevertobe Yamadori" or "Pre Yamadori". "Now how were they gon'na lift that out'ta there?").

DSCN2714.JPG DSCN2716.JPG DSCN2731.JPG DSCN2725.JPG DSCN2727.JPG DSCN2733.JPG

Unable to get macro to focus on leaf picture rather than everything behind it, and yes this tree is alive (see seed pods photo (#5) to ID species, and if you do please tell me and anyone else who may be interested).

Last photo tends to tell the story best (view from opposite side of tree), simply a tree that fell over but is still alive. Few more than fifty years old I suppose.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
If my recollection is any good, I'd say pods were more like 5" to 8" long, (similar to a fair sized green bean pod), 1/4" - 1/8" diameter.

Top Bottom