post-repotting question

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Should leafless trees be placed in the shade after repotting like a tree in full leaf?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There were some differing opinions in another thread, but my answer would be yes. Explanation being that the leaves will be pushing soon for you in Dallas, at that point you are in the same situation as a "leafed tree"( which really shouldn't have root work done - assuming diciduous for this - evergreens will have foliage when root pruned and repotted, or it will probably turn into an ever brown). My point being that with the leaves out and being in the sun, IF you don't pay attention to it you could run into the situation of the roots not being able to keep up with the requirements of the leaves. Once you get them out you may not have the time to pay enough attention to the tree during it's recovery to notice that the roots are being pushed too much.

Again the wind can be a big culprit here, wind can dry out your soil rather quickly, new fine root growth is very succeptable to drying out, which is NOT a good thing.

So my advice is to place it/them in a spot that gets a few hours of morning sun, and be protected from the wind. I think it was Jason who made the point regarding warming the pot/soil being good for it, here I agree, and say that the early sun is good in that it will warm the soil some in the morning when it's probably still chilly, which helps support root growth. The rest of the day the air temps should be enough to keep the root zone in a good temp range.

Hope this reads the way I sounded in my head.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Bill. It just seemed a shame to keep them all shaded when the weather outside is as nice as it was today! Morning sun it will be. :)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ross ( lol always like the Beeve) no problem.

I think many like to associate human feeling to our "babies" so often what seems to be a good idea for us aint so much for our trees. ;) Thats why it is more important for us to pay more attention to the trees horticultural needs. I think on any given day here you can find a similar question/situation being asked about, we all do it to some extent.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Mine go right back out onto my tables -- and have for the last 30 or so of the 40+ years I've been doing bonsai in the southeastern US where the sun is HOT.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do the same, I put them back right in full sun. Here in LA the sun is hot as well. I just make sure that the soil remains moist at all times.

The only time I worry about full sun, is with collected conifers. Those are placed in a shady place, with morning sun.

Last edited:

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
There were some differing opinions in another thread, but my answer would be yes. Explanation being that the leaves will be pushing soon for you in Dallas, at that point you are in the same situation as a "leafed tree"( which really shouldn't have root work done - assuming deciduous

I fully agree with the shade aspect on newly re-potted trees. The good news is that if your tree has already had leaf burst and you didn't get around to re-pot. Wait for two weeks to let the leaves 'harden' off then you can trim the roots and pot the tree up. I have done this on many occasions and the tree doesn't miss a beat.

Ash

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
So there you have it: Definitive answers.

You get what you pay for,...:D:rolleyes:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Guess there are different ways to skin dem cats.

Attilla that 2 no nos, go figure, meaning back to the sun and moist. I was going to say maybe because it humid here but I think jkl is most likely as if not more. Hmmm!

Top Bottom