Preserving Olive Deadwood

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi All,

I'm new to all things deadwood, but have read up and watched many videos to gain as much knowledge as possible. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the preservation of olive deadwood. From what I understand the wood is not anywhere near as hard as conifers or yews, but is definitely more so than tropicals. The goal is to obviously stave off rot for as long as possible. Here's what I planned to do (please tell me if I'm way off base):

First I plan to remove any soft or decaying deadwood. I don't plan to do any extensive carving or even detail work. I plan to let the wood weather naturally. Once I gain more experience I might have a go at a little detail work.

Second, I'm thinking of staining the wood with a 50/50 solution of lime sulfur and water. I want to dilute the solution to make the deadwood less jarring. I like lime sulfur since it will act as an anti-fungal as well. I'm afraid to use any wood hardener for fear it will trap any moisture contained in the wood which will accelerate rot.

I plan to do this when it's relatively warm outside to ensure the wood is nice and dried out. The deadwood on this particular piece is nice and seasoned as well.

Is this a good plan? I'm sure this process is obvious to most hobbyists, but I'd rather plan carefully and do it the right way the first time.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Thams,
I don't think olive wood will be softer than juniper or pine woods. My old friend and me have been collecting quite a bit of olive stumps here and there for a while. To cut the olive wood, one needs a chain saw to do that, and even with the chain saw, its blade has to be replaced after working on one big olive stump!
The olive dead wood after few years is still hard as a rock! I can not believe it! If I was you, I would not put any thing to preserve the dead wood.

Bonhe

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ditto

Hardwood comes from mostly deciduous trees, Maple, oak,ash, alder and walnut in the US. The reasons why conifers hold up is the amount of pitch/sap/resin in the wood which helps it stave off water rot for many years. even old conifers with dead wood will rot out due to moisture once the yearly rains wash the resin from the wood.

Olive wood will last longer than you will be alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I appreciate both of your replies. I'll defer to the collective wisdom here until the tree proves otherwise. I'll let it ride au natural. Thanks again!

Top Bottom