Procumbens? advice please~

Fey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello so I got this juniper from a friend of a friend who is getting out of bonsai (bought a bunch of super cheap training pots from her and the juniper and an elm came with) and I've had it for about a month and a half now. It was in partial shade and had been missed being watered so all I have done is water it and let it get some sun. Now it is pushing quite a bit of new growth all over the place and I wanted some other opinions on the tree itself now that I'm fairly sure it will survive. It is still a bit pale, but the color has improved quite a bit since I have had it. Overall I kinda like the tree, the foilage is pretty dense to the branches but...it is in this weird... attempt at a cascade style..but its got all kinds of random branches. Some crossing, some backwards, some sticking out randomly from others....I don't really want to do much with the tree since it is still recovering but I keep looking at it and wondering where i will go with it in the future. I know it wont ever be anything super fancy...but while I am still learning I like to look at anything as experience! Thanks in advance for any input!

WUiA55K.jpg
YL6ejgx.jpg

BLCc9k0.jpg
u458GyN.jpg

1B8kl9l.jpg
cObGcvo.jpg

aEVAU4u.jpg
4uMV1Pc.jpg

xvgInwf.jpg
VglP0jP.jpg

jT77DpV.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want, this could be super fancy.

Nice peice of material!

It looks like you are holding some adult foilage. I have one with a couple branches of adult foilage too.

I am just trying to keep it healthy and get it to have all adult foilage, so I am tryimg to keep pruning and other tinkering to a minimum.

It may be a bit late to cut anything. But if something unnecessary is really shading out something you wish to make fancy (use in your design) I would cut it off, or better, just use a few guy wires to expose it to some sun.

I'm no Juniper expert though, but this ONE I have is doing well.

I like elms better! Going to see if you posted it too! If not. Please do!

Welcome!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In the last photo in your series the branches and top of the tree on the right look as though you may have the beginning of a red spider mite infestation. Do you know how to check for this? I am going to make the leap that you don't know, so I will explain because time is a factor here. Take a magnifying glass if you don't have great eyes and a piece of plain white paper. Hold the white paper under the branches and lightly tap on the foliage with the falt of your hand.

Examine what has fallen on your paper with the magnifying glass. If you see something that looks almost like pepper and on closer observation the pepper is moving you have spider mites. You need to treat the tree before these little boogers decimate it.

Fey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yikes, I went and did the paper test. I couldn't see anything moving even with the magnefying glass but does it hurt to treat just in case? For now I have moved the tree even further away from my other plants. I had it seperate anyway but dont want to take any chances...

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
What ever you do try to keep foliage on branches close to the trunk...or try to induce some by cutting back.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The more you spray ( treat) the more immune they get. I wouldn't. But maybe blast it with water.

A natural advocate. If it is a problem, try predator mites.

Am I the only person able to see mites without a magnifying glass?

Not trying to toot my horn, serious question. I can see the eggs too.
Is there something smaller I am missing?

Sorce

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I can hardly see them with my little magnifying gkass but I feel them, just by looking at a tree...The leaves have typical appearance...yellowish spotted with tiny yellow dots and sort of dirty looking.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I can hardly see them with my little magnifying gkass but I feel them, just by looking at a tree...The leaves have typical appearance...yellowish spotted with tiny yellow dots and sort of dirty looking.

Neli: clear your inbox. I tried to send you a private PM and it says your inbox is full.

Fey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe I could see them without a magnefying glass but I'd rather use one to be sure XD I didnt see any and did some research on them and have checked all my other plants. Predator mites seem to be a rather expensive option for a small setup. I will just work on being preventative with the spraying the undersides of the leaves and keeping a careful eye on things now that I have a better idea what to look for! Thanks~

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
when the tree is out in temperatures at or below freezing. can spider mites live through that.

Rick

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
when the tree is out in temperatures at or below freezing. can spider mites live through that.

Rick

Yes, spider mites are a common affliction of landscape junipers outside year round.
Winter might knock them back some but wont eliminate them.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
welcome to the addiction, and everything is bonsai is a learning exp. Once this is healthy it could be a nice small cascade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom