Procumbens Juniper

USDA Zone
9b
I've had this little guy for a few months now and I know it's a long way off, but I think it's got a little potential. I posted in another thread that I may put this in the ground for a few years, but I'm wondering if I do, will the lower branch become too thick and possibly create reverse taper? I kinda like the lower branch and don't really want to have to remove it. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

USDA Zone
5-6
I've had this little guy for a few months now and I know it's a long way off, but I think it's got a little potential. I posted in another thread that I may put this in the ground for a few years, but I'm wondering if I do, will the lower branch become too thick and possibly create reverse taper? I kinda like the lower branch and don't really want to have to remove it. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
It wont get too thick if you watch it carefully and pinch it back constantly while allowing the upper growth to grow freely for a while. It is vegetive growth that produces girth, by hindering the vegetive growth you will hinder the branches swelling. On the other hand, understanding the above, by allowing the vegetive growth on the upper portions of the tree you will encourage those portions of the tree to swell which should encourage the base of the tree to swell as well.