Propagating Dawn Redwoods

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ran across 3 dawn redwoods here in W. Massachusetts, it has a lot of those low branches that people will typically cut off just for mowing purposes, anyone with experiance a to how these will do for cutings , or layering, some low brances at the collar look to be about 2-3 maybe more inches across. Can I root a 2-3 in. cutting of one of these?? or should I set up an air layer??

These are full size mature trees, so zone isn't an issue.

Rfarrell5888

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Ran across 3 dawn redwoods here in W. Massachusetts, it has a lot of those low branches that people will typically cut off just for mowing purposes, anyone with experiance a to how these will do for cutings , or layering, some low brances at the collar look to be about 2-3 maybe more inches across. Can I root a 2-3 in. cutting of one of these?? or should I set up an air layer??

Hi where abouts are these trees i would like air layer them

Rfarrell5888

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

I could help you to air layer them. I live in Central Massachusetts

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Theyre easy to root- 6-8 inch hardwood cuttings pencil thick, planted 3 inches deep in the ground in autumn/ winter in should be rooted by following summer-autumn

Top Bottom