Prune back to benefit grafts?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Should a tree be pruned back to remove branches that may be shading thread grafts and/or to direct the tree’s energy to the thread grafts? Does one wait for the branches to harden off a bit and trim back everything other than the grafts? What do you do?

I have a few grafts on this JM and the tree is getting shaggy.

Attachments

• IMG_7706.jpeg
    IMG_7706.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 14
I may soon find out, at least on a Chinese elm. A thread graft from earlier this spring was being shaded by first flush growth. I did an extensive trim on all new growth except the graft.

I try not to prune when attempting grafts as I want everything to grow vigorously. With that being said, I’ll prune branches above the thread graft if I’m building ramification there. Also, don’t forget that wiring new branches once they start to lignify is the best way to get movement in deciduous material… you can wire the graft itself and you can move other branches to allow light to reach lower and further into the canopy.
Edit- non keeper branches can get removed if they shade out grafts but you still want lots of growth above the grafts if possible.

I've noticed several of my threadgrafts weakening and i'm attributing it to the strength of surrounding branches ...and shading. That's going to influence how I attempt these in the future. (I've never thread grafted into such density before so wasn't expecting this to be an issue.) If your threadgrafts are still viable, I'd remove foliage in the surrounding branching, whether thru defoliation or pruning.

Back
Top Bottom