Pruning and wiring azalea

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hi, my totally newbie question. Can I prune plant at 6pm and wire next morning.without harming plant Thanks. Stuart

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to Bonsai Nut!

That is a very interesting question that needs a lot more data to answer. The answer is it depends on the situation.

Let’s start with the basics:

1. Please post a couple images of the tree(s) involved.
2. Briefly explain what work is intended to be done. How much pruning, the scope of the wiring.
3. When was the tree last repotted (if you know). If not how long has the tree been in your possession?
4. please post your approximate location and USDA zone. To do this please double tap your icon on top of the page. The scroll to account details and click. Finally scroll down to these areas.

These data well give us the background needed to answer your question.

cheers
DSD sends

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you for your response pics will answer some questions. I am located in St Augustine fl Zone 9b . Bought plant at nursery in 3 gal pot

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 23

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Sorry , I will be wiring branches .To get a nice full look. Need to bend 2 lowest branches back,because they are growing toward front of view

Ramman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I am an old man and forget things after the fact, please forgive me. I don’t think I will repot now. Maybe wait for the end of summer or fall. Please have patience with an old man. Thank you again

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No worries! First recommend going back in and taking each junction down to two. One up, one out. Or to a fork on the side branches. Always prune the thickest branch off to improve taper. Then check for bar branches.

Then take the lower branches down even further so new growth will create tapered branching.

Repot in fall or next spring. Start thinking about what media the plant will be replanted in. You might want to review this link.

Cheers
DSD sends

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
No worries! First recommend going back in and taking each junction down to two. One up, one out. Or to a fork on the side branches. Always prune the thickest branch off to improve taper. Then check for bar branches.

Then take the lower branches down even further so new growth will create tapered branching.

Repot in fall or next spring. Start thinking about what media the plant will be replanted in. You might want to review this link.

Cheers
DSD sends
I would suggest early next Spring like January or February, zone 9 weather gets hot very suddenly.

Top Bottom