PSI regulator? For automatic misting system.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Got my 1st low cost AWS to instal this weekend
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D33B8HB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I asked the seller with no answer, but shouldn't I use a regulator on this? If so what PSI?
I'm sure the PSI will depend mostly on the water pressure at the end of the line.
I plan on anywhere from 15-20 ports and maybe 70' of line, initially PVC or short hose from timer.

D

Deleted member 21616

Got my 1st low cost AWS to instal this weekend
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D33B8HB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I asked the seller with no answer, but shouldn't I use a regulator on this? If so what PSI?
I'm sure the PSI will depend mostly on the water pressure at the end of the line.
I plan on anywhere from 15-20 ports and maybe 70' of line, initially PVC or short hose from timer.

I use a 15 PSI regulator on a similar system, with spray valves (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-maples-in-montreal.33315/page-4).

At 20 feet of tubing and about 30 output valves, the system was not functional. With 20 feet of tubing and only 20 output valves, i would say that my system is at it's absolute limit.

I tried to run my system without the PSI regulator, and the valves kept popping off the tubes. It was not reliable (maybe i could have glued them in place, but I did not try).

I see that you would like to run 70 feet of tubing, with 20 ports. I would say that this is probably not possible with a 15 PSI regulator.

Are you going to be using this as an overhead system that will rain down on your entire tree, or will you be using stakes to water just the soil. I personally water just the soil (because powdery mildew is always present on my bonsai bench), but I would have preferred to have the system water the entire tree (i also don't have any overhead structure at the moment). If you are using it as an overhead system, you may get away with have more line/valves because of gravity? I'm not sure how this works - just speculation!

What timer are you planning on using, if you don't mind me asking? (just curious).

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use a 15 PSI regulator on a similar system, with spray valves (https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-maples-in-montreal.33315/page-4).

At 20 feet of tubing and about 30 output valves, the system was not functional. With 20 feet of tubing and only 20 output valves, i would say that my system is at it's absolute limit.

I tried to run my system without the PSI regulator, and the valves kept popping off the tubes. It was not reliable (maybe i could have glued them in place, but I did not try).

I see that you would like to run 70 feet of tubing, with 20 ports. I would say that this is probably not possible with a 15 PSI regulator.

Are you going to be using this as an overhead system that will rain down on your entire tree, or will you be using stakes to water just the soil. I personally water just the soil (because powdery mildew is always present on my bonsai bench), but I would have preferred to have the system water the entire tree (i also don't have any overhead structure at the moment). If you are using it as an overhead system, you may get away with have more line/valves because of gravity? I'm not sure how this works - just speculation!

What timer are you planning on using, if you don't mind me asking? (just curious).
Thanks Derek! I knew it would be a matter of drag, and outlets.
I know how to maximize water flow and compensate for drag on aquariums quite effectively.
My avatar reads "hydro-dynamic" on one forum, still, this is unchartered territory for me.
Especially with the push on fittings that aren't secure. It is what it is, entry level crap.
I will be using the stakes, a few of which in this kit spray both up, and down (6 pcs I think)
The system is just for vacations, and the 2nd waterings during heat spells.

Nice that you can access an app to water yours. Haven't read the thread through, but the page you linked. In the aquarium hobby, we can use probes with our apps to automatically add buffer
when pH is low, record the pH in real time all day as well as several other values like Ca and compensate for those. So when the lights go out and the pH drops or alkalinity, a graph is available and you can
adjust your parameters accordingly. I prefer manually adjusting and testing myself, but am amazed
I don't see monitors and probes as such for the hobby.

As for timers watch the manufactures video here. This is all I'm going to need.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004INGS8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll order a 25 PSI regulator and see how that goes.
The gauge on my RO unit reads 60 PSI in.

D

Deleted member 21616

@Japonicus

glad to hear i'm not the only person crazy enough to take on at least two expensive, and time consuming hobbies :p

adjustable PSI regulator is a good idea, and a smart move! I never thought of that!

The timer you posted is exactly the timer I'm going to use next year. However, because most of my trees will be going into bigger pots (or in the ground), I will simply use a soaker hose.

Speaking from experience, make sure that your main horizontal arteries are a few inches above the height of your tallest pot, with the branches (the ones with the valve on the end) angled downwards towards the pot. In the attached photo, you can see that I initially wanted to be discrete with my hoses, but quickly learned that function was more important and I had to re-do the system. There are actually two types of issues in this photo:

1 - the valves on the 3 pots furthest from the camera require or 'consume' additional pressure for the water to exit the valves because they are an inch higher than the main line.

2 - the main line is actually at the 'same' height as the pot in the front right of the photo, however, the droop in the line caused the water to run down the line rather than fall directly into the pot (because the entire system was running on less-than-optimal pressure due to the number of valves). In the reef world, we keep droops in our electrical wires to prevent it from getting to the power outlet, so I should have predicted this!

Hope this helps
D

Attachments

• 34818_10150113074232323_3878130_n.jpg
    34818_10150113074232323_3878130_n.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 9

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Japonicus

glad to hear i'm not the only person crazy enough to take on at least two expensive, and time consuming hobbies :p

adjustable PSI regulator is a good idea, and a smart move! I never thought of that!

The timer you posted is exactly the timer I'm going to use next year. However, because most of my trees will be going into bigger pots (or in the ground), I will simply use a soaker hose.

Speaking from experience, make sure that your main horizontal arteries are a few inches above the height of your tallest pot, with the branches (the ones with the valve on the end) angled downwards towards the pot. In the attached photo, you can see that I initially wanted to be discrete with my hoses, but quickly learned that function was more important and I had to re-do the system. There are actually two types of issues in this photo:

1 - the valves on the 3 pots furthest from the camera require or 'consume' additional pressure for the water to exit the valves because they are an inch higher than the main line.

2 - the main line is actually at the 'same' height as the pot in the front right of the photo, however, the droop in the line caused the water to run down the line rather than fall directly into the pot (because the entire system was running on less-than-optimal pressure due to the number of valves). In the reef world, we keep droops in our electrical wires to prevent it from getting to the power outlet, so I should have predicted this!

Hope this helps
D
Ok I'll keep that in mind as I go. Thank you!
I may try to run my 1/4" line along my porch centre rail, which is above knee high,
then drop lines down to each pot.

Looks like a Flame Hawkfish in your pic?
See post #5077 in my build thread here https://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/100g-acrylic-system-build-167197-339.html
and # 5133 https://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/100g-acrylic-system-build-167197-343.html

I'm elated, to be out from under that money pit. Still have the custom 100g acrylic tank for sale
though I'm not making any effort. Sold all my pumps. Still have the PAR38 Sunrise to Sunset
canopy wired to a controller for up to 12 lamps and lunar lighting by the calendar (what 28.63 days
I forget?). Anyway, brings up great memories. I had 120' of 1.25" PVC ran to my sump some 40' away
for some time. Also still have the 41" custom Lifereef sump.
Sold all 4 Lifereef skimmers and one sump I had too :(
I understood reefing. I enjoyed it, I hated it. Bonsai...I always feel inadequate.

Top Bottom