Quercus alba repotting questions

ariasong

Seed
Reaction score
I have a number of very young oaks which I started from acorns and are now in their third growing season. I believe they will need potting up from their 3 litre pots soon (they can't be planted in my garden as it is too small) and I'm wondering about the timing of this repot. Most trees are repotted as buds begin to open, however I have read on bonsai4me that Harry Harrington favours repotting oaks when they are fully leafed out. Or does this just apply to a mature tree? Has anyone experience with repotting these mid-summer?
I also understand that "over potting" should be avoided as this can stunt growth, does this still apply to airpots and free draining soil substrate?
This leads me to my next question - would potting in a 15 litre pot be overkill? or would I gain some advantage in not having to repot these trees for quite a number of years. What are your experiences with airpots?

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 25

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are just wanting these in larger pots then you can just slip bot them into bigger containers then wait until nest spring to do any root work.

Top Bottom