Question about backbudding

source

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys

Firstly, thanks for all the previous answers, I think my knowledge is finally starting to get to a point where can know how to develop a naturalistic bonsai :)

I had one question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer for. Its probably an obvious one, but just want to make sure: will a branch backbud if you cut it back as opposed to pinching it?

So if I choose to let a branche grow long for the first 6-8 weeks of spring and allow the leaves to harden off, and then cut it back to something like 4 internodes, as opposed to pinching it back at the tip, will that also activate potential backbudding in the rest of the branch, or does backbudding occur only if you pinch?

Thanks

Daniel

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends a bit on the kind of tree we're talking about but all branches have terminal buds, secondary buds and tertiary buds. Terminal buds are at the tip of the branch. When you look at them in the spring they are the fattest buds at the tips of the branch. Nature fuels those to grow the most, gain height, grow with long extension, be a tree.

Secondary buds are usually visible. They are smaller than terminal buds. They might or might not come to life in a certain year. Depends on the tree, depends on the year and health of the tree. If the terminal bud is removed by you or nature too soon in the spring, usually the next bud back will become the new terminal bud growing and extending. If you wait until everything is about to burst with growth, the tree will disperse energy more evenly.

Tertiary buds are more invisible, more about potential than actual. It is a tree defense mechanism to storms and damage. If both of the above are damaged a tree will bud back in places that aren't doing anything. Some trees do it better than others. Deciduous trees do that very well conifers(it depends).

Cutting or plucking or rabbits, or deer...when terminal buds are removed, a tree will have the reaction to bud back for its own survival. Cutting or plucking has to do with timing, how hardened off is it. In the case of junipers, some pluck some cut. It has to do with how your tree will look afterwards. Either way you will get the result of stimulating other buds into action.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What's the difference between "pinching" and "cutting back"? They both do the same thing.

source

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks fourteener

I should have said the tree is deciduous.

@jkl pinching back is when you pinch out the new growing shoot from a leave that is unfurling at the top of the branch to stop its growth and send resources back into the branch, whereas pruning is when you cut the branch at specific point. They do a similar thing in that they activate dormant buds further back along the branch to open and send forth new shoots. Pinching back, as far as I understand, should only be used on trees that are in the latter stages of development and in the last refinement stages, in order to develop 'twiginess' and better ramification. Whereas pruning back branches should be used to develop branches until the main structure of the branch is complete (allowing the branch to grow out and then pruning it back hard).

Pinching back can weaken the tree and branches if its done all the time, every year, whereas if we allow the branch to grow out first without pinching and then prune it back hard to develop branch taper and secondary and tertiary shoots, it allows the tree to remain vigorous and healthy, by allowing it to grow out first. That is why pinching should mainly be used towards the latter development of the tree - (refinement stage).

At least that is how I understand it... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dan, This is all true, but the fact remains that buds grow where the light goes.

How or where you pinch or cut will determine at which point the branch divides, but backbudding occures where the light penetrates. Thinning out the foliage to allow light into the inner parts will stimulate budding and maintain interior foliage.

Maintaining the tree in optimal condition with good lighting into the interior is how you get good backbudding. Pinching, plucking, cutting are just ways of shaping and maintaining the tree as it grows.

True, buds will pop at the next station down the line and all that was said before, but backbudding is buds popping all over the trunk and that is happening because when you removed the pieces you allowed light to get in. Am I belaboring the point? It's about the light and not so much about the cutting. Sincerly, Rick

source

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Dan, This is all true, but the fact remains that buds grow where the light goes.

How or where you pinch or cut will determine at which point the branch divides, but backbudding occures where the light penetrates. Thinning out the foliage to allow light into the inner parts will stimulate budding and maintain interior foliage.

Maintaining the tree in optimal condition with good lighting into the interior is how you get good backbudding. Pinching, plucking, cutting are just ways of shaping and maintaining the tree as it grows.

True, buds will pop at the next station down the line and all that was said before, but backbudding is buds popping all over the trunk and that is happening because when you removed the pieces you allowed light to get in. Am I belaboring the point? It's about the light and not so much about the cutting. Sincerly, Rick

Oh wow I didn't actually realise that. Makes me think more carefully about the positioning of the tree ;) So its a combination of cutting back and the light ... cause the cutting back forces the tree to put out new growth to produce food for the roots, and the light is required to cause the dormant buds to 'pop out'...

I was mainly referring to back budding on the branch, but I see back budding applies also to the trunk obviously.

Top Bottom