Questions on Dwarf Brush Cherry ( Eugenia myrtifolia ' compacta' )

rickyny

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello a month or two back I bought this tree off of Bill Valavanis, owner of international bonsai. When i purchased it I was told it was just recently cut back and it already has all the branches wired how he wanted them for shape and growth. Now I am at the point where I have let it continue to grow out mainly because im to nervous to cut back again or make any bad decisions. You can see in the images how it is shaped and its looking like broom style design maybe but he has the side branches coming straight out to the sides which I like but I am not sure where he was going with the tree. The top section where the trunk was cut has about 6 or 7 branches coming from just that section in all different directions coming out from the middle just below the cut. Do i leave all those there, can anyone see where this tree is headed? I personally would like to allow it to fill in more closer to the trunk but I am not sure if I should let it keep spreading out or what. I obviously want the trunk to thicken up quite a bit as well as the main branches, Its just the top section is confusing me as in to what i should to. The trunk has been shaped and the tip with all the sections coming out is now pointing towards the front view and a tad to the right. I also don't want the tree to grow to large i would prefer a more small compact tree, unless i can be guided into a different more appealing direction. I took both front view and back view of the tree so you can see the wiring and the top shot is looking straight down to the center of the cut top trunk where all the branches come out from every side. Should i cut those back or what? Any info on what you would do if you owned this tree would be great. I am open to all suggestions. As you can see since I have had it, it is growing healthy and now all the new shoots are out and leaf size is increased on those. So basically I am at a stand still and nervous to make any moves before I get some advice or insight. Oh also there is a new shoot coming up on the main trunk a few inches from the soil should i let it grow or get rid of it asap. I wish i could get it closer to the size of the trunk and have it start growing upwards to separate the high single trunk but im not sure.

The 1st 2 images are front view. Followed by the top shot of the center trunk cut off point where the branches come out and surround it from every angles Last 2 are rear view as potted

Attachments

• DSC_0682.jpg
    DSC_0682.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0698.jpg
    DSC_0698.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0692.jpg
    DSC_0692.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0690.jpg
    DSC_0690.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0704.jpg
    DSC_0704.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 82

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
You bought it, it's yours

Well, you paid the guy for the tree, so stop worrying about what he wants. I'm not trying to be flip, and I'm sure this person is a smart guy who knows a lot about bonsai. But you're the one who owns it and will look at every day. Why not make yourself happy and do what you want?

You might not do what an "expert" would have done. But this is a hobby, if you enjoyed doing it, and learned by doing it, then it was money and time well spent.

I'm new to bonsai and i understand your apprehension. I think 'what am i supposed to do?'. And it's great to get insight and advice, but if you do your own thing i bet you will have more fun. Just my two cents. Btw, it's a cool little plant. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

rickyny

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for the response. As I was saying im looking for insight and ideas other may have. Not looking for someone to virtually shape trim and design my tree via the interwebs. I have a few trees I have been taking care of and enjoy every aspect involved, just looking for others point of view and ideas. I just cant seem to "see" the tree yet and visualize where I want it to go. Im sure over time ill see it, but as for now idk if I should be pinching it back or removing any of those upper branches coming out from the top of the trunk, Im not very experienced in all that and need some help.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Your tree is growing nicely, good job!

Where do you live? If nearby, bring it over and let me take a look at it. I'll give you my ideas on the future development.

Good job!

Bill

Rochester, New York

rickyny

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks! Yea I live nearby I am over in Penfield. What a surprise to see your on this forum. Im not sure when you are available, but that would be great if i could stop by and you can help me out and give me some ideas. Ive wanted to check out your other trees you have on display as well and sign up for some of your classes in September. I am available on Friday or the weekend or anytime next week really, or whenever your available and have some time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! Yea I live nearby I am over in Penfield. What a surprise to see your on this forum. Im not sure when you are available, but that would be great if i could stop by and you can help me out and give me some ideas. Ive wanted to check out your other trees you have on display as well and sign up for some of your classes in September. I am available on Friday or the weekend or anytime next week really, or whenever your available and have some time.

I think you have a good game plan...taking some classes. Your lucky you have that available close to you. That was very nice of Bill to offer to take a look at your tree. I am impressed!

The trees overall appearance looks healthy...you've done good by it!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Rickie,

Simply phone me to make an appointment to stop by. I should be home on Friday and Saturday.

Also you are lucky, the US National Bonsai Exhibition will be coming quite close to you next to the Piano Works Mall in East Rochester on September 13-14th. I'll give you information on that when we meet.

Bill

585 334-2595

Top Bottom