Really dead Stone Pine!

bubbly193

Seedling
Reaction score
So, after hearing about my recent work with a stone pine, someone thought "let's give him a real challenge," actually it was more like, "This tree looks like it could make a good starter," and they gave me a christmas decoration stone pine. The catch is, it was frosted and all the needles but two small branches are dead. Good news is, it's root are nearly intact (apart from a little issues with constriction killing some at the very bottom of the pot). I performed a very light root pruning, and removed the dead wood (~90 percent of Branches/Trunk/Foliage, I all but stumped it). Tree is in a dormant stage, as it is Winter where i'm at (Near Tulsa, OK, USDA zone 7B North America.) I may try to get pics of it. It's a mess now. I'm looking for any tips I can get on this. My experience is with heathy trees, not the two Stone Pines i got thrusted on me (Although, the tree with the bad root rot is growing very well now (THREAD). It's in 60-40 Diatomaceous Earth-Cactus Blend(I have succulents) fast drain soil. Same with this new tree. If it helps, the tree is very young, I know on some pines that makes a difference. Stone pines are prone to damage, so it would make sense for them to be resilient. Bottom line is, is there any hope? I hope so, it's looking good for a deadwood tree (looking at jin, shari and sabamiki) project if it survives.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just playing....

If you want. We can copy and paste this in the other thread.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another believer in the hopeless case.:confused: C'mon Spring! If it still looks alive come Spring suggest spraying foliage with 50% strength fertilizer as well as in soil weekly. If does okay then spray 2 times a week till growing well. Not in hot sun though:eek:. late afternoon or shortly after sky lightens in morning.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
"after care" of traumatized trees is critical. They still have some life, there is always hope where there is some green. But your after care will have to be near perfect. They won't be able to survive further stresses. I don't know much about stone pines, nor do I know much about your weather. I suspect BNut members in Texas will have weather similar to yours, if they have advice, see if what the suggest makes sense and go with.

Top Bottom