Repotting American Beautyberry

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
I've had this tree for about a year and it has grown considerably in that time. Today I decided to repot it and trim the prolific root system.

Here it is in the pot it was placed in after collection.
A4wiYmp.jpg

Large amounts of fine roots after I raked them out.
aNR4Bdo.jpg

IqdUgdY.jpg

Planted in a pond basket to air prune the new roots.
N1m8HIC.jpg

A nice shot of the contorted base.
oh6BwKq.jpg

I think I will let it grow until march-april and then cut it back hard to achieve a few back buds.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That went from WTF to PFD real fast!

Nice!

Sorce

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
These are native where I am, but never thought they could work well for bonsai. Do the leafs reduce well?

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
These are native where I am, but never thought they could work well for bonsai. Do the leafs reduce well?

I'm sure they'll reduce a bit. I have a small beautyberry with leaves that have reduced to about 2 inches long. In the wild, the leaves are 5-6 inches long. With enough branches, I expect the leaves to probably shrink down to 1 inch.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
These grow here and survive the winter too! Never thought of making a Bonsai out of one, but they sure are cool. I have a white one, my mom has a few Purples... Hmmm...

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
These grow here and survive the winter too! Never thought of making a Bonsai out of one, but they sure are cool. I have a white one, my mom has a few Purples... Hmmm...

It's an interesting species. I going to look for seedlings and try growing them as thick bushes. As evidenced by the the stump above, I think they could be trained into an interesting hedge/coppice style.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Another interesting 'Berry' that grows where you are is 'Pearl Berry',also not much investigated for Bonsai: Vallesia glabra. Great bark and buds on old wood.Leaves also reduce. This shrub was 4 years old from a seedling.It is V. lacianata,an endemic here in Baja Sur:

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
DSCF0166.JPG

Sorry for the horizontalis. Since this shot was taken it has been pruned back heavily a number of times and the trunk is considerably thicker. Go tropics! It is about a foot high and tapers well right up to the apex.I will be checking for more nebari in March when I plan to repot and move it into a pond basket.

Last edited:

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks like you're in my neck of the woods @GroveKeeper - will keep an eye open for beauty berry stumps now.

You have too look carefully. The stump is usually underground. It seems like they tend to die back to ground level and then send up another stem that takes over. Eventually you get a pretty big raft.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I would be curious to see where this went too Beautyberries make for some interesting trees.
But it doesn't seem like Groveskeeper has been here in a very long time.
His last post was in 2018.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I would be curious to see where this went too Beautyberries make for some interesting trees.
But it doesn't seem like Groveskeeper has been here in a very long time.
His last post was in 2018.
Maybe he has email update so hopefully he sees it

Top Bottom