Repotting time for south Central PA?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have some maples and elms that will need to be repotted this year. The buds are starting to swell on all the trees. The concern I have about repotting now is that the weather forecast is still calling for lows around 32 for the next few weeks but highs in the 60’s.
Has anyone started repotting yet in this area or am I just late this year. I do not plan on doing major root prune unless it really needs it.

Thanks

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If buds are starting to swell you may want to consider repotting and then moving into protection at night when the temps get dangerously low.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have some maples and elms that will need to be repotted this year. The buds are starting to swell on all the trees. The concern I have about repotting now is that the weather forecast is still calling for lows around 32 for the next few weeks but highs in the 60’s.
Has anyone started repotting yet in this area or am I just late this year. I do not plan on doing major root prune unless it really needs it.

Thanks

Those two types can be done in our area now as the are for the most part still dormant.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If buds are starting to swell you may want to consider repotting and then moving into protection at night when the temps get dangerously low.

I should not have assumed they are in the shed or barn and yes I agree. All of our budding stuff with remain in the sheds with the doors opened only on warm days to actually cool them off as heat builds quickly. Anything that has remained outdoors gets covered if it looks like a frost because it is easier then moving them.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
right now these are under the benches in mulch. So I would need to remove from the mulch and complete the repot. Putting in shed is that to keep frost off ? I do not have and heated sheds to put them in.
I would assume I could put some cloth over the table to keep frost off if I put the pots back in under the bench.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
right now these are under the benches in mulch. So I would need to remove from the mulch and complete the repot. Putting in shed is that to keep frost off ? I do not have and heated sheds to put them in.
I would assume I could put some cloth over the table to keep frost off if I put the pots back in under the bench.

I don't have heated either, the stuff I put in sheds for the first time this year was because they started to push buds while they where in 2 foot of snow and we had a sunny spell. I moved them into the sheds to slow them down as I knew more frosts were going to occur. I have some blankets I toss over the outside stuff but only if they have leaf. It does not seem to me that frost messes up the initial bud break, I only take precaution if they are in leaf. A cheap shower curtain from the Dollar Store could be used on top of your benches if you are so inclined.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i have some tarps I can put over the bench and leave the sides open for the night and then just pull them off in the morning.

I guess Ill start this weekend along with yard work, garden prep, barn cleaning..... geez I hate summer.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
i have some tarps I can put over the bench and leave the sides open for the night and then just pull them off in the morning.

I guess Ill start this weekend along with yard work, garden prep, barn cleaning..... geez I hate summer.

I have everything ready for the Fence contractor and when that is complete I am going to be in up to my elbows. The landscape at this house is bad, neglected for many years.

Grimmy

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would say wait till' you see the tips turning green,even a strand of leaf.That should by you some time.Some books say if you see leaf it is too late,but is good right before that.Graham Potter sais' right when you see the tips of bud stretch and leafs barely show themselves is the best time.I would wait as long as you can till you see the tips of leaf.

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm going to repot next week,my junipers are turning a nice bright green
They were copper colored last week

Top Bottom