Riddle me this...

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Was at Lowe's today grabbing some lumber, and noticed them unpacking some shore pine Christmas trees INSIDE.

What are the chances one would survive if I brought it home and left it outside (assuming it isn't dead already...)?

I was in a rush, so I didn't look at them too closely - didn't even notice the price - but I've never seen them for sale in Maine before (not that I've looked).

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I guess if they have the roots in decent state you can keep the tree in an unheated well ventilated green house in dormant state until spring, maybe it can recover but with pines its not easy the tree could be dead and not show it after months

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
We've been using live Christmas trees for many years. Most of them survive after 2-3 weeks inside. Some are now like 30+ feet tall!

Fyi, these are a combination of pine species we have used over the years, but I think most of them have been Monterrey Pines.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We've been using live Christmas trees for many years. Most of them survive after 2-3 weeks inside. Some are now like 30+ feet tall!

Fyi, these are a combination of pine species we have used over the years, but I think most of them have been Monterrey Pines.
I've done this with a spruce in the past, but it was outside when I purchased it. Was planted in the landscape for a few years after using it inside for Christmas. Dug it back up for bonsai a couple years ago, ha.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've done this with a spruce in the past, but it was outside when I purchased it. Was planted in the landscape for a few years after using it inside for Christmas. Dug it back up for bonsai a couple years ago, ha.
Nice! To me, that's way cooler than throwing away cut trees (which I have done many times too).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Pines can be indoors for a week of two without serious damage. Given that they're placed outdoors afterwards and were dormant when they went inside.
But.. There's always room for exceptions.

Spruce being indoors for a month usually do drop some serious needles but resume their regular growth in spring. We replant our B&B chrimmas trees every year. Only the blue spruce died, but that was likely caused by 40°C weather and a farmer dropping his waste in our woodland.

Top Bottom