Rock Talk

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
I saw this video in September of last year and keep going back to it.
Monday bought some rocks from my local Aquarium store, the Wet Spot, and started staging them with pots I have around. I really want to get going with this project, but since we're expecting high temps this weekend I think I will just do one without a tree. I have plenty of moss and small ferns growing in my yard.
I'm uncertain how I want to attach the rocks. In the video they are using a 2 part epoxy I believe. I'm thinking silicone may do the trick while also being less permanent, but maybe it won't be a strong enough bond?
Has anyone done something similar?
Any recommendations on attaching the rock to the pot?
Please share any photos with or without tree!
I'm posting some photos I took of mockups. I mostly just placed the rocks so they could balance in the pots, I can position them in a more aesthetically pleasing fashion when I attach them. I may even pick up a rooted juniper cutting from my local nursery and go for it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All of these pots are smaller than a deck of cards. I think the last photo of the round-top rock in yixing zisha rectangle is my favorite, but they will all look different once planted🤔0FB7FE17-3571-4DB5-9CBA-487FDE742DFC.jpeg

Attachments

• 39BC6B59-2C90-4B5A-A365-A4D8C3CD4F66.jpeg
    39BC6B59-2C90-4B5A-A365-A4D8C3CD4F66.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 482DA7D3-A38D-43BC-9FC1-DBC421A8883C.jpeg
    482DA7D3-A38D-43BC-9FC1-DBC421A8883C.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 15F864F0-AC32-4BAD-88CC-57309EC21572.jpeg
    15F864F0-AC32-4BAD-88CC-57309EC21572.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 11
  • AA3F9394-B21E-4B56-B214-250C513DCBB8.jpeg
    AA3F9394-B21E-4B56-B214-250C513DCBB8.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 13

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Monday bought some rocks from my local Aquarium store, the Wet Spot, and started staging them with pots I have around. I really want to get going with this project, but since we're expecting high temps this weekend I think I will just do one without a tree. I have plenty of moss and small ferns growing in my yard.
I'm uncertain how I want to attach the rocks. In the video they are using a 2 part epoxy I believe. I'm thinking silicone may do the trick while also being less permanent, but maybe it won't be a strong enough bond?
I'm posting some photos I took of mockups. I mostly just placed the rocks so they could balance in the pots, I can position them in a more aesthetically pleasing fashion when I attach them. I may even pick up a rooted juniper cutting from my local nursery and go for it.
There was a post on this a while back and I know some people advocate wiring the rock. Personally I use silicone because of your stated reason. It has worked well for me for a number of years.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Silicon aquarium cement. The two part epoxy will permanently bond the rock to the pot, the silicon cement (which is used to cement and seal glass aquariums) can be carefully removed if you want to use the pot for something else... It will work fine.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All of these pots are smaller than a deck of cards. I think the last photo of the round-top rock in yixing zisha rectangle is my favorite, but they will all look different once planted🤔View attachment 449938
Really nice choice of rocks. A good variety yet with similar characteristics of age. If the rocks could talk there would be a fascinating story of survival through the ages.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Silicone sealer was your absolute best choice for anchoring your rocks. I started using silicone when it hit the market sometime around 1970 as the first all glass aquariums were being produced. I was dubious at first but we actually made many all glass tanks that are still in use today. Originally G E claimed the product would last 20 years or better. Last I checked it is guaranteed for 40 years. I have rocks in pots that are 33-34 years old and repairs that are over 40 years old. It is impervious to all natural deterrents and will probably last hundreds of years.
The fact that it maintains a rubbery texture is certainly in its favor. It will never shrink and crack as most products do. The rubbery material can be cut though with a sharp blade, so it can be removed without harming the pot or the rock.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Silicone sealer was your absolute best choice for anchoring your rocks. I started using silicone when it hit the market sometime around 1970 as the first all glass aquariums were being produced. I was dubious at first but we actually made many all glass tanks that are still in use today. Originally G E claimed the product would last 20 years or better. Last I checked it is guaranteed for 40 years. I have rocks in pots that are 33-34 years old and repairs that are over 40 years old. It is impervious to all natural deterrents and will probably last hundreds of years.
The fact that it maintains a rubbery texture is certainly in its favor. It will never shrink and crack as most products do. The rbbery material can be cut though with a sharp blade, so it can be removed without harming the pot or the rock.

I will try silicone next time!

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks all.

The rock wasn’t quite big enough to do anything else with it, so chanced my arm and broke it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Finally got this lil’ cutie planted at the clurb last night. Didn’t cut any root or remove much foliage. I’m going to wait to fully style. I’m super happy with the way the tree fit into the rock. 🥰88A42E56-E220-4E55-9F77-FCF195593591.jpegintended front. 73A2BEC2-B303-45E4-8A6B-3EBF8AB921F1.jpegThis side is looking good too. Late winter when I trim and detail wire will be easier to decide i presume.

Top Bottom