Rocky Mountain Juniper Cascade; Which Front?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I purchased this tree a little over a year ago with the idea of creating a cascade with this angle as the likely front. I didn't do much to the tree last year other then place it in a more appropriate pot for the style.

Attachments

• rmj.jpg
    rmj.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 416

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I pulled the tree out of storage this week and just completed its initial styling. This is the image from the from the front I initially envisioned. Please be aware that I still need to work on some of the deadwood/jins. The bark on this side needs to be removed...the lifeline is on the back from this front.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.2.jpg
    IMG_1892.2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 364

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is the tree from the other angle...the side with the lifeline. So, I'm interested in the front that people prefer, as well as why. I've included a shot of the canopy...not sure if it will help. Thanks for any input.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1889.2.jpg
    IMG_1889.2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1893.2.jpg
    IMG_1893.2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 199

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Dave, My preference would be the first front you offered (1892.2). The flow is nice, and the life line is still visible on the bottom. The dead wood on top is seems to be more harmonious and less in your face than the other possible front. The real clincher though for me is that the deadwood on the end of the trunk is not super imposed over the branching in the first front. Looking at the second front that deadwood is to heavy visually for my taste when laid in front of the foliage and branching.

Nice piece should be fun, thanks for sharing

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As always, thanks for the input, Tom. I'm wondering how much your choice of front would change if I were to reduce the deadwood at the end of the trunk that blocks the foliage/branching on the 2nd front. It was another option I had considered.

Dave

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As always, thanks for the input, Tom. I'm wondering how much your choice of front would change if I were to reduce the deadwood at the end of the trunk that blocks the foliage/branching on the 2nd front. It was another option I had considered.

Dave

It would change it some Dave. By reducing the volume of the deadwood on the end it certainly would help. I think you would have to do one hell of a lot of carving though so that the end wouldn't be really blunt. There is still also the issue of the deadwood crown. The way it sits in the first front seems more in harmony, a accent vs. a competing feature. However this is a picture so I reserve the right to change my mind if I ever get to see it in person :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
update

I had forgotten about this thread and started a new one on this tree. Anyway, I've updated this thread with a better pic of the tree with a new front started this past june. It was wired out then, but hasn't been pruned since. I'll be pruning it back a bit and maybe re-potting next March.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0703.1.jpg
    DSCF0703.1.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 225

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progress, thanks for sharing!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I like your first choice. Mainly because the crown is moving toward the viewer and because it partially obscures the pointy jin. The deadwood at the main bend is also more interesting from this side.
Paul

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Where?

If I might ask...where did you purchase this nice Juniper? Dave, Colorado Springs.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like your first choice. Mainly because the crown is moving toward the viewer and because it partially obscures the pointy jin. The deadwood at the main bend is also more interesting from this side.
Paul

These were the same reasons I had for picking the first front, too. My perspective changed, though, after I brought the tree to a workshop with the Atlanta Bonsai Society. The guest artist was none other then Marco Invernizzi, and many of the experienced club members were in attendence. To a man, they all picked the front highlighting the life line coming out of the soil. As Marco noted, you can always move the apex (which I've begun), and the tree, as originally styled, would never appear any better then a well styled tanuki. I'm happy with the change, and the tree will look much better when its out of the can and in a nice pot, from both fronts as well. As an aside, that pointy jin is gone...you just can't tell from the photo. Thanks for the comments, Paul.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I'll hopefully have more pics next spring with a new pot to boot.

It was interesting for me to come upon your post. I have a JRP two-line semi-cascade that I'm working on, and a couple of weeks ago, I decided to flip the front to the opposite side. For me, the determining factor was how the crown best appeared to come towards the viewer, as well as the movement of the general trunk line (there was slight movement coming off the trunk base towards the viewer from the opposite side, which I thought made for the better front).

For your tree, it's a bit hard to tell from the pictures whether there is any movement in the initial stage, but I like where your tree is at now. :D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
front).

For your tree, it's a bit hard to tell from the pictures whether there is any movement in the initial stage, but I like where your tree is at now. :D

Yes, it's very hard to judge depth/movement front to back with 2 dimensional pics, particularly when you have a clown like me behind the camera:eek:. Actually, the majority of the trunks' movement occurs in the first 1/3 of the trunk...it's basically straight after that. It's in that section that the trunk pulls away somewhat from the front. BY the way, I'd love to see that JRP.

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I posted before I noticed your most recent photo and I see what you're going for. Looking good! I can't wait to see it in a nice pot.
Paul

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Because of the warm weather we've been having, I've been ripping through my scheduled re-pots. So this one got it's new/old pot, an oldish yamaaki cascade I purchased with this tree in mind. I think it fits the tree nicely, but I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. While re-potting, I made the trunk cascade more severely. I think it gives the tree more stability while adding a little drama. Again, opinions are welcome. The canopy still needs work...maybe later on this spring/summer.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0823.1.jpg
    DSCF0823.1.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 162

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
the pot looks a bit small to me but working on the foliage and reducing it's overall mass would help with that. For some reason the angle of the pot makes the whole design unstable as if the tree is about to fall. Is this your front in which care why did you chose of the corner of the pot facing the viewer?

Manny

Top Bottom