Root grafting a Utah Juniper?

tamakwe

Seedling
Reaction score
I collected a Utah Juniper a while back that was growing on a steep hillside. The tree is about 8 inches thick at the base, and right now about 2 1/2 feet high. Its trunk was buried in mud over the years, and as a result, the roots start about 12 inches below the soil. The tree is awesome above the soil line but would be impossible to plant in a bonsai pot without roots farther up the tree. Even though it hasn't been a full season, I doubt roots will decide to sprout from the trunk. Has anyone ever had success grafting roots directly to the trunk on junipers? I wouldn't plan on touching it for a couple years but want to find out what's possible. I know thread grafting works well with deciduous trees, but how about evergreens?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree is awesome above the soil line but would be impossible to plant in a bonsai pot without roots farther up the tree. Even though it hasn't been a full season, I doubt roots will decide to sprout from the trunk.
I thought sprouting roots on a trunk is done by ground-layering (or airlayering).

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Any information on root graft techniques?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Yes you can definitely graft roots onto any collected juniper. This process likely takes between 2-6 years before you could separate the upper section from the lower section. One key to any successful graft is having a very strong growing tree before you graft. Root grafting is an easy concept, but I might suggest working with a professional before attempting yourself, or practicing on lower quality material before attempting on your nicest tree. Boon is excellent at Root Grafting.

The best info i've seen on root grafting is in the Takeo Kawabe book: http://www.j-bonsai.com/product/1042
The process Kawabe uses is to crave out a small channel into the live vein, carve sides of the whip and insert into the channel.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll look into the book.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
If you ever have the opportunity for a workshop with Peter Tea he can guide you through this.

Top Bottom