Root grafting from similar species

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've been working on a cork elm that was given to me while back and one of its major faults is lack of roots on one side. I have been planning on grafting new roots to that side with rooted cuttings. Many of the cuttings I took last year didn't take, but I am trying again this year with a bunch of cuttings from a treekutter's larger field grown cork elms.

My question is: would it be possible to graft roots from say a normal Chinese elm? These things grow so easily from seed where I live and I have tons of seedlings and seeds at my disposal. I also have a seiju elm that I thought this might work on as well as an arakawa that I was thinking of trying to add roots from normal Japanese maples.

Thanks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends...Of course if the tree is the same species (cork bark elms are only a slight genetic variation of the main Ulmus parvifolia) will work. Same for Japanese 'arakawa' maples which are Acer palmatum.

However, root grafts can be a problem with both aesthetically, since roots from non-rough barked plant won't have the same corky bark texture as the plant you're grafting them to. This may, or may not, be a problem for you. The new roots will not "rough up" to match the trunk they're attached to. I've got an in-ground eight inch diameter Arakawa will fully scaled bark. However, it was crown grafted low on "regular" Acer palmatum root stock.

Although the division between the rough/smooth bark has become less noticeable, since the graft is extremely low, it's still there after 15 years.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got an in-ground eight inch diameter Arakawa will fully scaled bark. However, it was crown grafted low on "regular" Acer palmatum root stock.

Although the division between the rough/smooth bark has become less noticeable, since the graft is extremely low, it's still there after 15 years.

Good info to have, I've wondered the same thing...

Now, can we see this Arakawa of yours? Please??? I know you have wonderful stuff, we'd love to see more of it...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The arakawa is just a bonsai candidate plant that got away from me :D. I had planned to use it for bonsai, planted it in the ground to fatten it up for a few seasons....and, well, here we are 15 years later...It's too big to bonsai now --it shades many of my bonsai in the backyard.

I'll try to find a photo.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The arakawa is just a bonsai candidate plant that got away from me :D. I had planned to use it for bonsai, planted it in the ground to fatten it up for a few seasons....and, well, here we are 15 years later...It's too big to bonsai now --it shades many of my bonsai in the backyard.

I'll try to find a photo.

Too big says he...? THUMP (...sound of gauntlet dropping...)

Perhaps some big fat air layers are in order, they issue roots very well...I have a couple arakawa air layers that are going in the ground to forget about this year too, with the intent of layering big branches from one day.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's got no taper for the first four feet-- that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;)

If I were ten years younger, I'd think about digging the whole thing up, but now just thinking about all that work makes my back seize.

Air layers are being planned.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I were ten years younger said:
Oh right, the old guy excuse... stir stir stir.....

didn't you see the thread about the cordless reciprocating saw????

Top Bottom