USDA Zone
Here are a few photos of contestant #2.

As it looked in March.
IMG_0001a.jpg

Out of the container.
IMG_0005a.jpg

After some root work.
IMG_0007a.jpg

Back in the container for another season of growth.
IMG_0008a.jpg

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And here are a couple of current photos.

Contestant #1 as it looks today.
IMG_0003a.jpg

Contestant #2 as it looks today.
IMG_0004a.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Paul

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking great Paul. That graft looks like it will eventually blend in pretty well in the future, thanks for the update. Have you ever tried ROR with JBP? It seems possible, because I have seen some photos or videos from Japan with very old examples but was curious if you have tried it.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This trees are progressing quite well in a short time! Thanks for the update Paul.

Eric

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking great Paul. That graft looks like it will eventually blend in pretty well in the future, thanks for the update. Have you ever tried ROR with JBP? It seems possible, because I have seen some photos or videos from Japan with very old examples but was curious if you have tried it.

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the positive feedback.

I agree, the graft union should work itself out in a couple more growing seasons.

I have never tried to grow JBP in this manner. Only because I'm not into pines. I think the JBP would be great material to grow ROR.

Cheers,
Paul

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like nice work to me. Seems to me that you just need a few more years of branch work and you'll have some really nice root-over-rock maples.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like nice work to me. Seems to me that you just need a few more years of branch work and you'll have some really nice root-over-rock maples.

Thanks daygan, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my project.

I would agree with you on Candidate #1. A couple more growing seasons and this one should be ready for a pot.

Candidate #2 will need a bit more than that. However, I think the bones of a decent tree are there. It's just a matter of time and patience at this point.

Have a great day.

Regards,
Paul

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so, that begs the question, what is the bit more that you want to do with Candidate #2? Are you intending to grow out the main trunk a bit further before you start branch development?

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so, that begs the question, what is the bit more that you want to do with Candidate #2? Are you intending to grow out the main trunk a bit further before you start branch development?

Well, because of the need to graft a new leader, Candidate #2 is three growing seasons behind Candidate #1.

The graft union still needs some work and that will require rank growth over the next few seasons. Once the graft union is sorted out, then it will be time to move on the the branch development.

Cheers,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some updated photos for this set of trees.

Contestant #1 as it looked in January.

IMG_001a.jpg

Contestant #1 as it looks today.

IMG_001b.jpg

Contestant #1, the nebari

IMG_001c.jpg

Contestant #2 as it looked in January.

IMG_002a.jpg

Contestant #2 as it looks today.

IMG_002b.jpg

The main focus for contestant #1 has been canopy development.

The main focus for contestant #2 has been improving the graft union and main branch development. I think the graft union has improved a lot this past year and I hope to get it out of the nursery can and into a grow box next season.

Enjoy,
Paul

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
First off...i love the first rock's color and the hole in it. It has a lot of character and matches the tree well! Second, what kind of pot is it growing in? I'm asking because it looks like it has tie down loops made in it? just curious...anyways the trees look really good and have come along way! great series!

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off...i love the first rock's color and the hole in it. It has a lot of character and matches the tree well!

I am always on the look out for interesting stones. This particular type of rock is called Florida field stone and is available from most stone suppliers around the area. I believe it is a transformational form of limestone. It is very hard and contains fossil and chert inclusions. As far as stone goes, its about the best that Florida has to offer.

Second, what kind of pot is it growing in? I'm asking because it looks like it has tie down loops made in it? just curious

Currently, the tree is one of my grow boxes. These are boxes that I made myself from composite material used for decking.

Here are a few photos to help explain:

Top View.jpg
Bottom view.jpg
side view.jpg
end view.jpg

I normally install eyelets around the top edge of the box to use as anchor points for guide wires. I have found this arrangement very helpful in developing my trees.

I made my first boxes with the composite material 9 years ago and they look as good today as they did then.

...anyways the trees look really good and have come along way! great series!

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

Cheers,
Paul

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I am always on the look out for interesting stones. This particular type of rock is called Florida field stone and is available from most stone suppliers around the area. I believe it is a transformational form of limestone. It is very hard and contains fossil and chert inclusions. As far as stone goes, its about the best that Florida has to offer.
ill have to try and hunt some down...my dad has some river stones he used for a drain we dug...not the small smooth stones...these are different ill have to post some pictures and maybe you will know.

Currently, the tree is one of my grow boxes. These are boxes that I made myself from composite material used for decking.

Here are a few photos to help explain:

View attachment 38441
View attachment 38442
View attachment 38443
View attachment 38444

I normally install eyelets around the top edge of the box to use as anchor points for guide wires. I have found this arrangement very helpful in developing my trees.

I made my first boxes with the composite material 9 years ago and they look as good today as they did then.

Nope...no questions you explained it well and i will have to grab some of those eyelets because i usually just loop it through a hole in the nursery pot i made but that wouldnt hold a stubborn branch or aid in a lot of movement either.

Thank you for the explanation of both of my questions!

Top Bottom