Root stand process

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Havnt gotten alot of time to work on it recentlly but just wiped it down with water and will do final sanding tomorrow, approx 20 hours into the piece and almost ready for apoxy!

View attachment 338544
Well done! I tend to turn logs into bowls or shelves or cutting boards...maybe time to try a stand!

Personally, I would not epoxy the split on this piece. I can't tell from the angle of your pictures, but it looks like the check made it to the center. It should stop there. The reason these sorts of checks form is the surface dries faster than the center. The outer rings shrink more than the center so the outer ring has has nowhere to go but to split apart. Painting or waxing the end grain while drying helps since the straw ends lose moisture faster. The techniques mentioned above can help as well. Nothing works perfectly. The thicker the log, the more likely it will check in some way.

I mostly work with slabs where these sorts of checks can split a board in half. I'll often inlay butterflies (Google it) to strengthen the slab and prevent further checking.

For this piece, I'd leave it as it. It adds a bit of natural character to me. I have epoxied checks too, but I think this piece doesn't gain anything...and if it doesn't add...it subtracts ;)

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well done! I tend to turn logs into bowls or shelves or cutting boards...maybe time to try a stand!

Personally, I would not epoxy the split on this piece. I can't tell from the angle of your pictures, but it looks like the check made it to the center. It should stop there. The reason these sorts of checks form is the surface dries faster than the center. The outer rings shrink more than the center so the outer ring has has nowhere to go but to split apart. Painting or waxing the end grain while drying helps since the straw ends lose moisture faster. The techniques mentioned above can help as well. Nothing works perfectly. The thicker the log, the more likely it will check in some way.

I mostly work with slabs where these sorts of checks can split a board in half. I'll often inlay butterflies (Google it) to strengthen the slab and prevent further checking.

For this piece, I'd leave it as it. It adds a bit of natural character to me. I have epoxied checks too, but I think this piece doesn't gain anything...and if it doesn't add...it subtracts ;)
I do have to admit the crack is growing on me a bit as I look at the piece. I am aware that it has stopped and wont crack further it has indeed reacged the centre. The epoxy was not in an effort to stop the cracking however just something I wanted to try. I hav not had the time to add the epoxy anyways so I will think about leaving it until I make my final decision.

I have heard of the butterflies and seen examples of this method and interests me. However as a complete noob at wood working taking things slow haha.

Thanks for the comment!

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I do end up deciding on epoxy these are the two areas I will apply it to I noticed there werent any close up pictures of the cracks recently.
20201117_173512.jpg

20201117_173521.jpg

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So here we are! I decided on not doing the epoxy and I am glad I didnt because the stain gave the piece a really rustic look, so I think the crack adds to that. All in all I would have to say it took anywhere from 22 - 25 hours start to finish. Really enjoyed it!

Some takeaways and what I will do differentlly next time:

Use dry wood (fire wood) ((although the crack doesnt bug me as much and I wouldnt mind that to be kind of my style))

Plan my holes drilled a little but more and not just throw them in randomly.

Work more on smoothing out the piece with the aluminum die grinder bit. (This will make sanding down so so so much easier)

Overall for my first time I am really happy with how it turned out! Thanks for following this if you were 😄
20201226_090058.jpg

20201226_090420.jpg

20201226_090755.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah that looks good with the crack! Covering it would look fake.

Only that one hole in the last pic looks too even.

And that one pointy foot in the first seems could use a little rounding. I'd like to see the whole bottom edge rounded under...so it sits "softer".

Bloody well done!

Next one....16 hours!

Sorce

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah that looks good with the crack! Covering it would look fake.

Only that one hole in the last pic looks too even.

And that one pointy foot in the first seems could use a little rounding. I'd like to see the whole bottom edge rounded under...so it sits "softer".

Bloody well done!

Next one....16 hours!

Sorce
Yes thats another thing I want to try next time is get a little more adventurous with connecting holes to eachother so they dont just look like a round hole! I was nervous this time around but I will for sure venture next time! Thanks!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In order to get something right you have to know what you are going to do and plan for this and avoid that. I find that there is no such thing as getting it right the first time, there is only getting it right if you are willing to do it enough times to get it right. Not very many people are that dedicated to an outcome.

Top Bottom