Rooting Hormone Strength

Alabonsai

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new to the site and have enjoyed the wealth of knowledge I have read from the posts I have read. I have been collecting bonsai material for the last year. I’m very interested in propagating. I mainly am focusing on deciduous trees, in particular maples.

I have bought some trees from Evergreen Gardenworks and find the articles very useful. I’m questioning what strength rooting hormone I need to use one for air layers and also for cuttings. I have read on hear that rootone or similar strength powder, is strong enough for trident maples. I’m assuming for both air layers and cuttings?

More particular what does everyone use for Jap maples/acer pal? Brent at Evergreen seems to successfully propagate many kinds of acers from cuttings. However he is using Hormex 3 to 16 and says he is also going all the way up to Hormex 30 for some hard to root variants. What is a generally good recommendation for hormone strength for both cuttings and air layers for Japanese maples. i plan to try to propagate kotohime, kiyohime, sharps pygmy, ao kanzashi, Ibo nishiki, coonaria Pygmy. I also would like to try to propagate some yard JMs I have as well: coral, bihou, full moon, Mikawa yatsubusa.

Thanks in advance!

Bonsai Obsessed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi alabonsai.
The info you have gotten is pretty much spot on. Trident will root on its own without hormone they are so prolific. But the hormone prevents rot, and helps root growth get started. The rest of your list propagation success will be based on the species- anything that typically comes grafted will likely be challenging to root and have them survive on their own root stock. I propagate lots of trident with 90% success. Standard acer pal as well are easy and work well for grafting stock.
I use course sand beds for propagation in partial shade, works well in my area, easy to harvest them as well. I start sticking hard wood cuttings in January typically, I try to get the dormant hours in before I start taking cuttings. Good luck!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Hormex 1, 3 and 8. Have not used 16 or higher yet. My go tos are 3 & 8.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Too heavy a hand with hormones, can actually inhibit rooting. Key in addition to hormones, a proper bed, sand or other sharp substrate, bottom heat, misters on a timer spraying as frequently as every 15 minutes depending on humidity. All these are crucial to success with difficult to root cuttings.

Pick up a copy of Dirr, Manual of Propagation of Woody Trees and Shrubs. There are many editions, I have the 1987 and it is still quite relevant. There are descriptions of several different good propagation beds.

A well set up propagation bed can make all the difference in the world.

Alabonsai

Seed
Reaction score
Please kindly refrain from using this reference. You can guess why.
You correctly referred to them elsewhere in your post as Japanese or JM's.

Welcome!!
Please kindly refrain from using this reference. You can guess why.
You correctly referred to them elsewhere in your post as Japanese or JM's.

Welcome!!
Obviously no ill intent intended, just abbreviating.

Top Bottom