Rooting suckers?

Speedy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a/
While digging out some weeds today I found a sucker on one of my huge sweetgums (Liquidamber not Eucalyptus) that has some nice low branches and is surprisingly ramified for as small as it is. It has a decent thickness to it so I was wandering if there is a way to get it root somehow so I can remove it from its mother? I would like to remove it let it grow out where I can keep it an eye on it. Would a ground/airlayer suffice? The bottom of the gridle would be just above the mothers root. I love the way these smell when the leaves are crushed.

These, green ash, red maples, and black cherry are trying to take over the yard so if nothing else I can do some culling and clearing out.

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
i am trying right now to airlayer a beech sucker. it has a pretty thick and interesting trunk for a beech. it has a few strange ridges that give the sucker a muscular appearance. ill get back to you in a couple months if it works. but since you said you may clear them out anyway, just try to airlayer it. its worth a shot.

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
i am trying right now to airlayer a beech sucker. it has a pretty thick and interesting trunk for a beech. it has a few strange ridges that give the sucker a muscular appearance. ill get back to you in a couple months if it works. but since you said you may clear them out anyway, just try to airlayer it. its worth a shot.

update: its working. i can see roots through the plastic.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depending on how much longer your summer lasts you might want to wait until next spring. It usually takes at least 2-3 month for any given air-layering to grow sufficient roots to be removed. As far as rooting it If the spot you would like the roots to grow is below ground level you can ground layer it using the tourniquet method, where you just use some bonsai wire to tighten snugly against the trunk. If its above ground you can do a simple air-layer using sphagnum moss (not sphagnum peat moss) using the ring cut method.

Top Bottom