Rough bark dissectum?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
about a month ago my fiancée went to California where her family is from for a funeral. Knowing I love japanese maple she took a photo of this one at the funeral home. I have never seen a rough bark, red leaved dissectum. Any ideas what it could be. image.jpg

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's very possible that the dissectum was grafted to a seedling that has rough bark phenotype.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If it's truly a rough bark dissectum there should be a little of that on the primary branches; they'd likely be more than 3-4 years old, about the time when Japanese maples show that characteristic.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are there any known rough bark dissectum cultivars? One of my Arakawa seedlings appears to have put out a dissectum leaf, no guarantee that it will have rough bark though but it will be exciting if it does.

This one sprouted much earlier than the others so hopefully it continues to be vigorous.

Attachments

• 20200212_191658.jpg
    20200212_191658.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 23

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Years ago while working as a buyer at a local nursery, I received some dissectums from a gentleman who was a broker for small nurseries in Oregon. Several of them had been high-grafted onto "rough bark" rootstock. They had quite an interesting look and sold quickly. It would not surprise me if some of those same maples made their way into California. Oregon ships Japanese maples all over the country, since they grow so well in the PNW climate.

Top Bottom