Rough bark root stock on grafted maple?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I went to a local nursery today to buy some stepping stones/pavers. They have a selection of grafted JM cultivars that I always browse through. The grafts are terrible and really high up.

Today I saw something really unusual. One of their bigger maples has what looks like rough bark root stock. I dug down in the nursery bag and found a little shoot coming from the root stock. Worth buying for the root stock?

9E87EEB8-D3B4-4949-A6B6-7DF1083C9EB0.jpeg4CEA3162-3F6A-46C0-A6CE-45764FFC709D.jpeg4B161527-1D23-4B33-92FF-B3FEBFC67324.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any indication it is indeed palmatum with rough bark? If it is, it is worth considering yeah

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
There are any scientifical explanation of why some maples have the rough bark?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went to a local nursery today to buy some stepping stones/pavers. They have a selection of grafted JM cultivars that I always browse through. The grafts are terrible and really high up.

Today I saw something really unusual. One of their bigger maples has what looks like rough bark root stock. I dug down in the nursery bag and found a little shoot coming from the root stock. Worth buying for the root stock?

View attachment 413168View attachment 413169View attachment 413170
It depends, generally root stock is easily propagated by seed. It may be better to research the variety and obtain some seeds or seedlings from the grower. This would give you the variety that interests you and the opportunity to create a better start. After all maples grow pretty quickly, particularly those they use for root stock. That way you could work on nebari, movement and taper for the first five years and potentially come up with a very interesting and nicely formed bonsai.
I agree the bark is interesting but the form is simply a straight stick.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can afford it, indeed buy it for the root stock. Great find.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As a buyer for a small nursery several years ago, I had a broker that brought me several a.p. dissectum that had been high grafted on rough bark seedlings. I asked about why that was, and he replied that they were just experimenting with it to see how it looked. They apparently had plenty of rootstock seedlings that exhibited rough bark.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a buyer for a small nursery several years ago, I had a broker that brought me several a.p. dissectum that had been high grafted on rough bark seedlings. I asked about why that was, and he replied that they were just experimenting with it to see how it looked. They apparently had plenty of rootstock seedlings that exhibited rough bark.
That really does make sense and your bringing it to our attention is appreciated.
Still, I maintain it is an awesome bark worth cultivating. I have only had experience with a few hundred JM seedlings and they all had the typical smooth bark. How great it would be to have seedlings that developed this trait. Perfect graft free bonsai starters.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something to note, backbudding on roughbarked varieties of JM can be iffy. The rough bark is thicker than 'normal' JM bark on older trunk like this one..it can suppress new shoots trying to emerge through that thick bark, same for air layering. Don't count on it, enjoy it if it happens...As said, this is weird since rough bark are typically grafted on "normal' smooth bark run-of-the-mill JMs

Top Bottom